Homemade anti theft

maddmark1981

In my D720 I just made a mobile of spent .357 and 12 gauge cases and hung it from the rear view mirror, just to let people make an informed decision. Seems to have worked, the only time it was broken into so was every other car on the street for 1/2 mile. :shrug:

You could always put a power interrupt switch under the dash that shuts off the hot lead to the ignition switch. Kinda hard to hot wire then even if it is busted open. I set it up like that on my old dune buggy...

B

• Like 1

I leave my Rottweiler (Zarra) in the back with the windows open. I've had no problems so far. The doors are unlocked and the keys are on the console.

• Like 3

You can get marine battery cable terminals with a built in on/off switch. Even if some one breaks in and hot wires or gets past the steering lock they will still have to get the hood open, fiind the switch and repete.

• Like 1

I'm looking into doing something to make the rig harder for thieves to steal

Any ideas?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Manual or auto trans?

If manual I saw this on a rental Samurai down in St Thomas, they called it a Jeep !

They welded a tab to the shifter and had a matching tab welded to the floor, line the two holes up in the tabs and put a padlock through, done

• Like 1

Park in well lit areas. Lock your doors. Most importantly, don't leave anything of value what so ever in sight. If you have valuable wheels and/or tires, use lug locks.

Just use common sense, and remember that if someone wants your truck badly enough, nothing will stop them from taking it.

Well, the problem is that my door won't unlock with my key in the door when its frozen, it happened many times last winter , I thought I had her lubed well enough but it happened again last week

I'm looking into doing something to make the rig harder for thieves to steal

Any ideas?

Manual

Manual or auto trans?

If manual I saw this on a rental Samurai down in St Thomas, they called it a Jeep !

They welded a tab to the shifter and had a matching tab welded to the floor, line the two holes up in the tabs and put a padlock through, done

For mine being an auto, I guess a cheap method would be to remove the fuse for the shift lock, parking the vehicle with the nose towards a garage wall or any brick wall.

With the shift lock fuse removed, sure they would be able to start it but it would be impossible for them to go into reverse unless they knew how to bypass it.

Take a hammer to the body and fill the driver's seat with poo.

Nah, the ignition interrupt switch is prolly a better idea. You could use a momentary contact type switch and mount it under the carpet. Just put it in an unlikely place like near the seat rail and set your foot on it while you turn the key. The baddies will still smash your window and nab your 8-track player, but your truck will likely stay where it was parked.

• Like 1

on the manual trans trucks, a simple hidden switch inline with the clutch interlock switch would prevent the truck from being started. Since the clutch interlock switch just provides a ground to the starter relay, the switch can be the momentary type. Press the clutch in, press the hidden switch in, turn the key to start. clutch in, hidden switch not pressed no start.

I don't know if you guys have these in the states, but the good old Club Lock usually is a good visual deterrent. It's a lock that goes on the steering wheel, preventing a thief to turn the steering wheel. I know thieves can overcome Club Locks but it's gonna at least slow them down a good amount of time. If a thief sees a Club Lock they would probably just move onto an easier target.

• Like 1

I don't know if you guys have these in the states, but the good old Club Lock usually is a good visual deterrent. It's a lock that goes on the steering wheel, preventing a thief to turn the steering wheel. I know thieves can overcome Club Locks but it's gonna at least slow them down a good amount of time. If a thief sees a Club Lock they would probably just move onto an easier target.

Yup, we have those here.

Not a bad visual deterrent.

I have mine anti theft rigged to cut power to the ECU. They still stole it... hooked it up to a makeshift tow truck and yarded it down the road to their stripping site. They never did get it started!

Edited by Kingman

^Exactly. An Alarm might be better in that case...

I was thinking about capturing a sasquatch and keeping him in the passenger side but i cant find any here in ns besides my couzin Long haired Tom...lol

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Don't reinvent the wheel, you need a trunk monkey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLoxADsZ9YforxtjWODy3Kz_8JjLH-Nxp7&v=AidAXgq9dWc

B

• Like 1