Body and Lifting Problems

Terrano13

Hi guys. I've just joined NPORA, I've been reading lots of posts for a while now. After reading all to post about body lifting, this weekend I've started to do a 2in body lift on my terrano and from what I understanding my has the factory fitted side steps and I don't to go to the effort to pull them off what is the best way to jack up the body? Now my other problem is when I took the body bolt out of the front driver floor (my is a RHD) I found the floor is rusted out so I looked at the passenger side and it had water pooling in the floor (if has been raining here this weekend). Has anyone else had this problem this the body leaking at the front and could guide me in the right direction of where it could be coming from so I can repair it

There are a few good jacking points but I assume that you are thinking about the front, yes? The crossmember behind the motor's oil pan is a good spot if you have a lever on the jack that can reach that far. Mine hits the bumper so I just turn the handle over and whack my knuckles on the ground until the beast is in the air enough to flip the handle to its normal position. I noticed that the back is a bit more challenging. I have bash plate covering the fuel tank so I used the flatest part of the plate (towards the front of the truck) and a piece of 200x200mm wood to get it into the air. I also noticed that I needed some thick wood under the jackstands since they ran out of travel.

For the water: If you have a sunroof / moonroof / hole in the ceiling of the truck with a pane of glass it may be the culprit. One of the other possibilities is that the frame around the windshield is rusted and allowing water in behind it. The windshield is an easy check: remove the trim strip with a medium "+" screwdriver and start poking around with a small nail drift or something like that. If its rusty you'll probably see it though.

That's all I can help you with, maybe some other members have other ideas?

To jack up the body, use a floor or bottle jack and 2x4s, about 2' long to spread out the weight. I wass able to place the wood towards the outside of the pan right next to a body seam which took the load well. I used 2 jacks at the same time, front and rear and lifted 1 side at a time. Go REALLY slow and make sure you aren't hanging up anywhere, put the mounting bolts in the first side loose until you get the second side up and bolted. My body shifted slightly, so I tied off to a neighbor's Blazer (best use for it IMO) and used a come-a-long to get things lined back up.

Mr Special is dead on about the water. If you have a sunroof, there is a drain line that can clog and cause problems (compressed air usually clears it), but if you have water on both sides, it is probably windshield related.

B

Take the wheels off. Sit the vehicle as low to the ground as you can. That will help when using a floor jack. Use some long boards to put against the body to distribute the load. Be prepared for the body to shift some. Like B said, You may need a come along or another vehicle to help shift the body.

Edited by RF600