Saying goodbye to "MY1PATH" (plates)

MY1PATH

Well It was fun running the custom plates in a truck I've been with for the last 25 years but the sentimental plates are now gone.
$38 a year for a plate that is not being replaced every year is a bit stupid and you can see the outline of 7 year stickers on there... so I guess it took me 7 years to come to my senses (or $266 extra dollars, 38x7) So I went down to the DMV to renew my tabs and go back to regular issue plates.
th_DSCN35731.jpg th_DSCN35701.jpg th_DSCN35721_1.jpg

I've got family, and other projects and it was time to let this small bit of vanity go. (Not to mention now that I'm back in CA I have to pay to smog test every two years...) I'll be keeping the username and my occasional presence here but that's the summary of what I did to resolve my overpriced registration renewal this year.

You get a new plate every year on normal tags? PA you just get the little sticker for the corner every year whether it's normal, vanity, or one of the 843,730,931 different speciality plates.

May seem trivial to some but your plate was part of you so I feel sadness for you, but understand priorities. :hugs:

Wow!

Sad for you.

But I'm also sad we don't have this option in Brazil. We get whatever char/number combinacional according to the computer system and got stuck to it for the rest of the vehicle's life.

Did you at least get to keep the MY1PATH plate or did they make you hand it over? I have 1AUC on my number plate. Like flnl said, we get given whatever number is up next, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get 1AUS as in Australia lol.

think I might have said "nevermind", and then reported "missing" plates the next day...and decided to get regular plates so the hooligans don't swipe the special ones again!

Bummer man. But yeah, sometimes hard to justify the annual costs for just a sticker.

My truck just came up for renewal the other day and every year I think about it, but same policy here in AZ...$25 to keep custom plate ID, plus $25 if you have a special plate. That's almost 100% of what my registration costs. Wouldn't mind getting some plates for my alma mater, but I'm in "unfriendly" territory.

My dad has plenty of personal CA vanity plates that went "missing".

Yeah I asked if I could just file an "Affidavit of Loss" like I did for my 280zx when I copped up the car...
I was told that "Affidavit of Loss" on a running, registered vehicle requires a police report to accompany it.

The last vehicle I bought had personalized plates. I did not want to keep them. I went to DMV and returned 1 plate. Said the other was missing. No questions asked. Issued me new plates and sent me on my way.

Police report for a missing plate? I'm sure the police would laugh once you left after asking for a report on a stolen plate. DMV is probably correct saying you need the report. Who's to say it was not stolen or fell off.

True they are often misinformative about anything beyond basic renewals... this made it a nightmare to retire my 280zx. Here are a few of the highlights.
I was given a yellow slip "keep this for your records and your all done"
2 weeks later I get a notice of incomplete documentation for Vin#... yep! that yellow slip was theirs and they needed it.
I go to turn in the slip and they want to charge me overdue registration (30 days since purchase BUT only 14 days past when I tried to report it junked), Smog back fees for not being PNO, Smog current for purchase, highway patrol fees, and vehicle purchase tax... something over $1,000.
UMM NO! "This car does not exist anymore and I'm not paying you anything" That's when the manager got called and turns out the whole process was started wrong from day one...

That sucks. We only have to pay extra when you buy the vanity plates...The renewal is the same as normal ones. I have vanity plates with my last name on them. I am trying to get ADMZAN for the pathy as well. hopefully it comes through.

There is a way...Vehicles sold with vanity plates may retain their plates but not the fees.
Kind of a lot of work to sell a truck and buy it back just to avoid an annual $38 fee...