Winter is here, heating system tune up

maddmark1981

Ok fellas and felletts, yes winter is here and is my utmost favorite time of year, I long to trail ride in the white icy cold Nova Scotia snow and am always prepared for pulling out random strangers and offering a boost when needed...

Things I need to do include my heater, she's slow and only blows out of a couple ports on the floor, I also heard a noise which sounded like a business card caught in a fan blade... I need to address this straight away, any tips, tricks or advice is duly appreciated.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Take the blower motor out. There's leaves and @!*% in there.

Also replace your thermostat, get the 180F one. The stock 170f is too cold for here. If they don't list it, ask for an 02 xterra thermostat. Trust me. The heat sucks with the 170F stat.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The blower is held in with three 8mm? screws I believe, then you can undo the mouse wheel and clean it. I used degreaser and an old toothbrush to clean all the fins on it, rinse off with warm water and towel dry be careful not to break the fins. Remove your glove box and behind that you'll unscrew a metal plate. Behind that you can remove the resistor and vacuum out the crud in the evap box but beware of nasty stuff like spiders and bitey things.

It is amazing how much noise a single leaf caught in that squirrel cage fan will make.

It is also amazing how much of a mess you can make if you run the fan with the resistor pack out before vacuuming out the leaves.

Cleaning it out should deal with the air flow and the noise, but I'm not as sure about it coming out the bottom vents only. That sounds more like the vent doors not working properly. Do you have the pushbutton climate control or the levers?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, good, much less to go wrong with levers. Hopefully cleaning it out deals with the problem, but if not, you may need to pull that assembly and check that the levers are still hooked up properly. If that's all working right and there's still no heat out the defrost vents, you may need to pull the dash and make sure the other end of the cable is hooked up properly. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.