My new 1997 Pathfinder Rebuild

Swat101

Hello everyone, want to get your opinion on upgrading my new vehicle 97 pathfinder. I just sold my 2013 Scion tc for a 97 pathfinder I already had, but now I want to make the pathfinder my main vehicle.

The pathfinder has been sitting for a while, 2 years, and is currently at the shop getting evaluated.

I would like to get a 2 inch lift, new tires and wheels, new exhaust system(muffler, air cleaner, catalytic coverter), new bumpers, and new interior.

Any suggestions on the best suspension lift kit, for just basic 4x4, nothing extreme. Also can I do 20 in wheels, and what size tires should I get.

Thanks,

Natalie

There are several options for a lift , depends what you want for ride quality and pricing , Most can be "mix and match" , and will gain anywhere from 1" to 6" usually in 1" increments (as a general guide , every truck is a little different) . The higher you go the more expensive pretty much , Fleury's spacers are the best budget option that I see for up to 2" . There are about 3 choices in ride quality , stock , medium stiff , and STIFF (AC coils) .

A friends kid had 20's on a '98 , I'm not sure of the width but I know he had to use wheel spacers and still had some rub . He had no lift and the wheel wells were filled up , I doubt there was much room for any flex off road . I can probably find out what sized tires it had but not until next week sometime . What sized tire you can fit on yours will depend on the offset of the wheels or size of spacers if used , and how much lift you do .

Edited by Beatup96
  • Like 1

I want to go to a 33" or 32" size tire with maybe an 18" wheel.

Also with a 3 to 4 inch lift.

What to you think of that combo?

I have been doing some image research and found that I like that the way that looks the best for me.

To get a 3" lift you will need the AC lift coils, plus one of Fleury's spacers. This is going to put the front driveshafts at a pretty serious angle, and depending on the truck they may bind. You will definitely want manual front hubs if you go that route at a minimum. To get 4", your only option is a sub frame drop. There are a couple of options for sub frame drops available, but neither will be cheap when they are all said and done(need to extend brake lines, modify WJ rear springs etc).

If your goal is to fit 32's or 33's, you can do that with a 2" lift and some trimming. Are you planning to wheel the truck at all or just doing it for looks?

• Like 1

I do want to wheel but nothing really serious. Thank you for the info. Have you heard of Krypton fabrications? Are they a good resource? The offer a 4 in lift kit using spacers and steering linkage, which means brakes lines need to be extended for $500.

Have not used them personally but I've never read any complaints. I'm not 100% sure what the kit you mention includes but dont forget rear springs, longer rear shocks, pan hard par drop bracket, and to extend your breather lines.