95 Pathfinder Won't Start!

Bridger56

Ok, I am anything but a mechanic, and I need some serious help. I have a sweet 1995 pathfinder, and she just won't start. This same thing happened a few weeks ago, and my uncle came and replaced some "easy little things" and it started working just great again! Except a few days ago, it sounded like it wasn't going to start, but then fired up fine. I drove it to my sister's house 5 mins away and 10 mins later when I went to leave, it wouldn't start. It has a brand new battery and the lights, radio, etc turn on just fine when I turn the key. When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens. It doesn't even try to turn over. I tried putting it in neutral, but that hasn't made a difference. Any help would be seriously appreciated!!

Bridger

Ok, to the motor doesn't turn over. Is there a little clicking noise, or silence? One click?

What is happening is that the starter (solenoid) is either failing (ed) or it isn't getting enough (or any) power. This is the heaviest draw on the electrical system, hence those big, thick cables...

Simply put, it could be a lot of things and electrical is often problematic, so this might be hard to explain to a novice.

First things I would check/have checked if this were my vehicle:

Battery/chassis/motor ground (negative) strap connections at all points (free and easy)

Fusible link directly off of the positive battery terminal (cheap and easy)

Starter relay (easy to check)

Positive cable condition and connection at starter (easy).

Those should tell you if the power from the battery is making it to the starter, that is step one...

There is a Factory Service Manual available for free download in a pinned thread in the Garage section. This might help you or whoever is going to help you with the vehicle.

B

• Like 1

You put it in neutral so your stating you have a manual transmission, correct? If so, there is a blue relay next to the battery that looks like this..

1192649868.jpg

That's the inhibitor relay. Have someone try and start your pathfinder while you tap on this relay(I use the handle of a screwdriver). If it starts, you have a bad relay. If not, you need to check for power at the starter from the battery and when cranking.

• Like 1

Thank you for the help! After a long day, I figured out it was the starter and after a lot of hard work, I replaced the starter, and now it runs great!! Back to the mountains I go!

• Like 3