R50 round #2...

Beatup96

After owning and loving my '96 for 16 years the time finally came , bought a 2002 today . Don't know if I'm sad or happy... :laugh:

I chased this one for about 3 weeks , it "got sold" at least once to people who never "came back tomorrow with cash" . I could tell this guy was getting fed up when he posted it on CL again a couple days ago by the latest wording of the ad...

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5321658745.html

I got it for $2700.00 , went with cash , a maniac mechanic who could make a living doing comedy in Las Vegas , and a dealer plate to drive it home on the spot should a deal be made .

The good...

Runs great , quiet , good power .

Virtually zero rust .

No open recalls .

Looks pretty good , it's no prom queen like he said , but overall not bad .

Tranny shifts are a bit "sharper" than my '96 but no slipping .

Heat/AC both seem good .

No CEL .

The bad...

Tires are shot , not a big deal .

Exhaust needs cat back replaced .

Valve cover gaskets are a bit leaky , pretty normal for the age .

Tranny pan gasket appears to have a slight leak .

Plastic splash guard "skid plate" is kinda buggered up .

Dash lights are "intermittent" , temp gauge is lit up , tach and speedo lights were out , tach light came on about 1/2 way back home ( a 25 mile trip ) , and the speedo lit up when I pulled into the driveway . Tach and speedo work , just aren't illuminated .

My maniac mechanic friend thinks I did OK . In the morning I go to the hell hole we call "CT DMV" . Wish me luck... :lmao:

Edited by Beatup96
  • Like 1

Nice find! so any plans on what your doing with your old truck , any part outs or anything? If so im interested

I'm not really sure yet what I'm going to do . I can't even utter the words yet to say what made me do it , when I get the 2002 registered and on the road I'll take a pic of the '96 . I'm a bit superstitious and I still need it to get me to and from the DMV .

I may swap a lot of parts and there wouldn't be much left other than a decent motor and tranny , it would need a trailer to take it away . Most of the suspension , aftermarket brakes , tire carrier and latches , plate holder/light , full set of tray style mats , wheels/tires , etc..., would be kept .

I'm also considering keeping the 2002 pretty stock and making the '96 a deer hauler on a friends farm .The CT state record buck was taken on an adjoining property , we goose hunt it , and it'll be long gone before his twins are old enough to get their paws on it... :lmao:

I need to get an opinion and a quote on the '96 before I decide , but it will definitely never be a daily driver again , and if I handed over the title to someone I could not in good conscience mark it as anything but junk/salvage . I can only think of one person I've ever met in 54 years who I'd hand over the keys and say "Drives great ! Go do 80 on I-84 !"... :laugh:

Please let me know what you figure out with your dash lights being intermittent. Mine just started to do the same thing this past week. Seeing as how it gets dark at 4pm right now where I live, it is proving to be annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah , I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark this time of year .

For the short term I think I'll look for a cheapo stick on light .

Made it through DMV in 2 hours , a record !

Took a better look at the tires and got the heebie jeebies seeing how dry rotted they were , went and had 4 new 255/70/16 Fuzion SUV's put on . They're "cheap" but they may not be on long , they seem decent for the money and get pretty good reviews .

Tire guy says the front wheel bearings are a little loose and the shocks are leaking , good to know and they were things I was going to have gone through anyway .

My target was to find a 3.5 in decent shape for $5000.00 , I'm into this one for $3200.00 with the tires so it's looking pretty good .

Edited by Beatup96