speedometer issues

pathyguy87

Forgive me guys, I know this topic has been beaten to death. I have looked at all the threads and I am just stumped. My issue is the speedo never really works, sometimes it bobbles randomly or just reads 0. My trip and odometer do not function either.

So I started to troubleshoot the different components that are known to fail. Here's what I have done:

1. Removed the gauge cluster and and spin the speedo with a drill motor. It appears to read just fine 0-60+

2. Removed and repaired the white plastic sprung tip that inserts into the gauge cluster

3. Got under the truck and use the same drill motor to spin the cable. I get the same readings on the speedo 0-60+

4. Pulled and inspected the speedo gear inside the trans, It appears to be in great condition with no signs of distortion.

So what am I missing? I don't know where else to look :scratchhead:

That is an odd one. It does sound like the problem has to be between the cable and the trans. Did you check just the gear for the cable, or the gear in the trans that turns it as well? I haven't heard of one of those going out but it would explain why the speedo cable isn't getting driven.

What I did when mine quit on me was remove the cluster and drive it around the yard like that. The cable spun, which told me the problem was between the cable and cluster. Turned out I hadn't clipped the cable end into the dashboard properly (I'd taken the dashboard out recently), so it wasn't engaging the cluster properly. Might be a good test for yours to verify that the trans isn't driving the cable.

I had that happen and to my dismay, I had to pull the back cover off the tail shaft of the tranny and replace the nylon gear in the transmission that drives the cluster. I hope for your sake it's not that. It's a real pleasure to change!

I had a similar issue. Mine was that the cable end made a groove in the plastic piece and just spun inside it. I filled that in with some epoxy and have yet to have a problem in years.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk