? for 3.5 owners

Beatup96

I may be taking a look at a 2002 SE with 138,000 miles , price is right and the truck appears in great shape in pics . And it's BLACK ! :wub:

My '96 has 160,000+ and it runs great , but cancer has gotten the best of her .

Are the 3.5's as long lasting as the 3.3's ?

I've owned both(plus a 3L) and I'd pick the 3.5 anyday. The 3.3 in my '98 still runs like new but the 3.5 in my '03 has over 70 HP extra (168 vs. 240). No timing belts ...all chains. Either will outlast the body where I live. My '98 front subframe completely disintegrated so fast it was funny. But what I would like is a 3.5 in my'98 (if it hadn't rotted). All have at least 300,000 Kms and run like new. Never an engine problem but lots of rust.

Edited by kdj

My dad's '03 used a quart every 1000 miles. We never did figure out why. It still made good power when he sold it. Our research at the time suggested that oil consumption on these isn't all that rare, though I know a lot of guys on here run them without issue. Maybe it had eaten its swirl valve screws.

I never liked the electric throttle, but it didn't seem to bother my dad (except for the time it malfunctioned), so I guess that's more a personal preference.

I bought my 2001 in like 2005 with 135,000 miles. It now has 240,000 miles. It's a manual tranny so it doesn't have the power screws to ingest. Power is still great and it's a really smooth engine for a truck. It uses about 1 qt of oil in 2000 miles. Not sure if eating or dripping it. I don't park on concrete to know. But every once in a while I smell hot oil when sitting at lights or when I get out. The valve covers may have gotten loose and be weeping like they did on my 1990 Maxima. Only difference is tightening them back down was super easy on that engine and not so much on this engine.

I own both and although they are both very reliable (as long as they're cared for properly) I'd take the 3.5 hands down. As for the electronic throttle control, that's on 03-04, 01-02 still utilize a cable from the pedal to the throttle body. As far as oil consumption, my 96 (3.3 with 178xxx using Castrol high mileage) uses about a quart every 3000 miles, my 01 (3.5 with 152xxx using Castrol synthetic) only uses less than half a quart every 5000 miles.

Edited by 01Pathmaker