31's on chrome steel wheels

1987caddy

I've read that you can run a 31x10.5 on a stock chrome rim. Does anyone have experience with the set-up? Wanting a bigger tire but it's my daily driver so I don't want to wear the tires out faster with a undersized wheel. I might also find some 16 steel wheels at pull a part to run a 265/75/16. Whichever is more cost efficient.

I'm running a Goodyear Wrangler Territory in 31x10.5 on the stock steel wheels. The SE is stock 31"x10.5".... you can fit up to a 33" but I don't recall whether you need to do any trimming.... ask adamzan that's what he's running.

Dunlop_RoverMTMaxxT_lg.jpg

I also run 31x10.5's on the stock wheels. Bottoms out a bit when I hit large bumps at highway speeds, this is due to old suspension components sagging though. Should be all good if your suspension is in good shape.

I'm certain he is talking about the rim width... I want to say the stock chromies (that came with 235/75/15) are 6" wide and the alloy 'legos' that came on the SE with 31x10.5" tires are 7" wide. Those numbers can be verified by searching around this site.

I had 31" BFG A/T on my first Pathy with the chromies, but IMO they were a little pinched. It'll work, and others have done it, but BFG recommends 7-9" rims for their 31x10.5"

B

Mine were used with about 5k miles on them when I got them and they have about 25k on them now with no signs of irregular wear on the rear and still more than 3/4 tread. My steering has kinda chewed one of the fronts though so I can't use that to compare.

Precise1 hit the nail on the head. I'm wondering more how the tires will wear on the highway on the skinner 15x6 wheels. Hate to drop 600-700 dollars on tires only to burn them up in 20k miles

It won't damage the tires that fast, if at all. I put about 30+k miles on my first pathfinder, and they were mounted and somewhat used when I bought it, so figure 40-50k miles on them. When I got rid of it, the tires weren't quite down to the wear bars and the wear was close to even, maybe only a little more in the center.

I'm not sure what happens when you air down though...

B

They are the tires in my sig picture...