Getting more power out of the VG30.

HBrandon

After I get my beast running again I want to do so me work to give her more power. It's my daily but I also take it off-road at least twice a week (when it's running). So what would y'all suggest and what have you already done to increase HP and Torque?

IN order of what I have noticed helping: 1) Headers 2) 2.5" exhaust full length 3) turbo 4) new plugs 5) 8mm silicone plug wires with clean connectors WITH dielectric grease on ALL connections (yes, it makes a difference) 6) spotlessly clean intake all the way to the heads 7) removing the crap sitting in the truck... all of it... all 50 lbs. And while I don't have a turbo installed I did meet a guy who gave me a short ride through a parking lot with his turbo'ed R50 3.4L.

I reality if you want free speed remove ALL the weight in the car that is not required to turn on the motor or keep it running.... that's what a race car is.

My pathfinder has the NISMO #2 off road cam set, but Im not sure these are available anymore.

Ive been happy with them.

They add nice lope to the idle, and seem to add a bit of overall torque.

(Figured I should add what they even do.)

I've seen several guys talk about the Doug thorley with 2.5" all the way back. I'm wanting to do that as well. I'm also planning on the electric radiator fan swap (with higher output alternator).

Quick question on the cams... Can you still pass emissions with them in a vg30? I'm coming up on a timing belt water pump job and wondering if it would be worth it now, or will I have to wait till this old girl hits exemption status...

I've seen several guys talk about the Doug thorley with 2.5" all the way back. I'm wanting to do that as well. I'm also planning on the electric radiator fan swap (with higher output alternator).

Quick question on the cams... Can you still pass emissions with them in a vg30? I'm coming up on a timing belt water pump job and wondering if it would be worth it now, or will I have to wait till this old girl hits exemption status...

I'm passing smog in California with cams, Doug Thorley headers. pistons, bored block. new ecu, etc.

It can be done.

I have 2.5 cat back with just a glass pack and cold air intake that I switch out for smog test. Engine definately feels more springy after the work. It got a little more spring after i removed yhe fan and clutch and replaced it woth dual electruc fans. I'm going to be pulling out the ac entirely. Then working on the water pump , belts and seals.

My last pathfinder definately felt more alive without all the ac equipment weighing in it down . I might be doing that to my 91. It doesn't work and I'm not much for trouble shooting ac outside of low on freon and bad clutch.

I recomend getting a higher output alternator. I have dual 12 inch fan hooked up to an electronic thermostat and when they both kick on with my lights one and other accessories. I start having flickering and fans slow down. I still haven't installed the alternator j pulled from a newer quest.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whoa, that's some misleading information if I ever heard any.

The heads have nothing to do with compression... and actually the factory turbo motors have less. 7.8:1 for '84-'87 and 8.5:1 for 88-89. NA engines are 9:1. The camshafts are the same turbo vs. NA but differ from AB to W-Series motors, the older AB series being the better of the two but the W-Series head castings are updated and better designed.

• Like 1

I have 2.5 cat back with just a glass pack and cold air intake that I switch out for smog test. Engine definately feels more springy after the work. It got a little more spring after i removed yhe fan and clutch and replaced it woth dual electruc fans. I'm going to be pulling out the ac entirely. Then working on the water pump , belts and seals.

My last pathfinder definately felt more alive without all the ac equipment weighing in it down . I might be doing that to my 91. It doesn't work and I'm not much for trouble shooting ac outside of low on freon and bad clutch.

I recomend getting a higher output alternator. I have dual 12 inch fan hooked up to an electronic thermostat and when they both kick on with my lights one and other accessories. I start having flickering and fans slow down. I still haven't installed the alternator j pulled from a newer quest.

The factory 70 amp alternator is defiantly too weak to handle the pull of electric fans. I know a 90-94 maxima alternator is stronger (90 amps) and a straight bolt/plug in (just swap the pully). What gen quest is your alternator from and does it need any adjustments to fit?

Next spring I'll be rebuilding my engine on my 91 Pathy. I'm wanting to build it to produce around 200 hp and around 200 lb-ft. I noticed that the vg30de produced 222 hp and 198 lb-ft, but it states that it's a 2wd motor. The 222 hp and the 198 lb-ft are the numbers that I'm trying to achieve.

I am wanting to keep the motor as near to stock specifications as possible. So if I increase the compression to 10:1, increase the lift and duration on the cam, add headers high flow air filter, high flow exhaust... Will I need to remap the computer? And, will that make the engine a detonation just waiting to happen?

The vg30de is a dual overhead cam engine. Although it shares the vg designation it's a different beast. Keep in mind that 4wd vehicles benefit more from torque than horsepower. For me the question is how can I get more torque from this little engine? Other than doing a vg33 swap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I used a 2012 alternator and just swapped the pulley and got the bracket from from the quest. Other than that bolts right on. It was a mission finding a newer quest in a junk yard.