Tire upgrade...

maddmark1981

From what I have read on here the 31x10.5R15 came stock on some pathfinders so you shouldn't have clearance issues. Depends on how saggy your stock suspension is. I have the same tire and wheel combo as you and will be buying 15x8 wheels for my 31x10.5R15 tires since those wheels you have are only 6" wide and while you can get those larger tires on those wheels it will cause faster wear and in even wear due to the bead getting pulled so far in which will push the center of your tire tread up and cause quick wear and tear.

• Like 1

If you want Steel rims...just go to the scrappers and find some Nissan Xterra Steel rims. All of their 15 inch were 7J which is all you need. Stick to 7 inches...these trucks already don't have a very good turning radius.

• Like 1

Watch it with Chevy rims. A lot have smaller hub bore size.

If you can find a set of early R50 wheels or Frontier they are 15x7 and aluminum.

Otherwise Summit simple $45 each steelies

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 inch is too small! 15x8 is a minimum otherwise you restrict yourself for options in the future. If you ever go to 33's you will want 12.5 wide tires and 8 wide rims is minimum you can go with. Otherwise you will have the pizza cutter wagon wheels look.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

• Like 1

He already has a set of 31(s) and trying to do things on a budget.

Mags are very cheap second hand if you know how to look. Especially for a 15 inch since most people are running 16 inch now. Finding a 7 or 8 inch isn't difficult. Yeah I agree you will need wider to run 12.5 but that would also require a lot of beefing up of the truck's current condition and lots more investment.

• Like 1

Definitely... I'm not ready for big shoes yet, I've only replaced a couple bushings and any bigger than 31 I'm thinking is out of reach for me right now...thanks, I'm getting bites now..

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I've been wrenching for about 2yrs now and never heard of wheel width having an effect on turning radius. The 2 things that contribute to your given turning radius are wheelbase and cramp angle. Certainly such a slight difference won't decrease your turning radius, so that shouldn't even be a second thought.

Ideally, if you can find 15x8's with 3.75" backspace, you'll be golden for your 31's as well as any future upgrades to a 12.5 tire. If you're looking at stuff off of a Chevy, you'll want something from an 87 or earlier pickup, or 91 or earlier suburban/blazer/Jimmy (all fullsize of course).

• Like 1

I'm not in pathy territory, that's a fact... There just aren't any around and I have been looking for weeks... I'm going to keep searching until I find something tho... One question, how do I measure the backspace

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Pretty simple, put a straight edge across the back of the wheel (where the bead of the tire sits not the lip, but if you do measure from the lip just be sure to subtract the height of the lip from your measurement), measure from the mounting flange (where the wheel meets the rotor/drum, the opposite side of where the lug nuts go) to the straight edge (subtract the depth of the lip if necessary) and you have your backspace.

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/tech-offset.php

Edited by 01Pathmaker