Worries of a Rusted out frame sometime in the future?

borninabarn

I have seen many Nissans when I worked as a Nissan parts advisor and checking them out for sale on Craigslist Etc.that have rusted out frames making them undrivable and junk.I had a 2004 Nissan Altima and the drivers floor was completely rusted through and if you have one you should take a look under there.For you guys, that have R50's or have seen the ones that have rusty frames where in the framework are the main spots that are rusting through? If yours is?have you done anything to try and save it? Thanks Guys! Born

Well, lucky for you, R50's dont have a frame(hense the caR50 joke)! Seriously though, there is a recall for rust in the front fender towers. Being you live in salt state, your gonna have to do the normal inspections every year and coat with whatever to prevent rust in the future.

I have rust on my Pathfinder that came from out of state. Its now in California. I have went under the car and used several wire brushes and sanders to knock most of the rust off, I cleaned it off with brake cleaner and some Rust-oleum rust converter paint over the chassis. Mine just has minor rust, nothing eating through metal.

I just did my CV axles and this found this rust under the grease cap

CV%20axle%20rust_zpssexbe9ek.jpg

Cleaned all the parts in added new grease.

Red%20Grease%20hub_zpsiwq1tfxa.jpg

Since i was in there I had to paint and clean parts. The yellow cover is for the ABS shield and i painted yellow since i ran out of black lol

Clean%20axle%20bearing%20parts_zps8eowc4

Put it all back together and mounted some new rotors as well

Slotter%20rotor%20mounted_zpsngy7crue.jp

Edited by Tito

Don't worry, mine's quite rusted. I chip away at it and spray undercoat and bedliner all over everything. My rocker panels have holes rusted straight through. They are getting replaced soon. All you can do is stay on top of it. But once rust is there, it's there to stay. All you can do is slow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using using Crapatalk

I bought mine with the passengers rear frame nearly gone, I took the gas tank off, air chiseled the snot out of it until there was hardly a thing left and then fabricated a sleeve out of heavy guage steel, and welded er in place, been grinding, chipping and sanding before printing and undercoating ever since... I just accepted it and won't haul anything with it... It is what it is unless you remove the body and replace the bad frame channel, look around on here, there's complete kits you can buy! Mark!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

There's no question, the R50 is more rust prone than average. I'm certain that mine will die of rot before the drivetrain dies. But I live in eastern Canada, so rust is a constant battle.

• Like 1