Stock peaker capability

Guest Oak

Hello,

I just installed a Kenwood CD Receiver in my 1993 Pathfinder SE 4x4. The reciever is capable of putting out 200 watts. What I am wondering is whether or not the stock speakers will be able to handle that much wattage. I know, from reading the owner's manual, that the stock reciever puts out 130 watts, and so I am unsure if the speakers are made to support only 130 watts or not.

Can you please tell me how much wattage my stock speakers are able to handle? And are the speakers made of paper? Or what are they made of?

Thank you for your time in answering my questions,

Jeremy B)

Hooking up stock speakers to an amp or a deck is not a big deal. The only thing you have to worry about is to watch the gain settings. Turn em all the way down first and slowly bring them up and find that sweet spot. I had an installer friend who told me once, you don't blow your speakers from too much power, its from not enough. :shrug:

200 is what it can put out at its best, you should look for a true sence of its power by looking for RMS, thats the amount of power it can put out continuosly. the papers are prolly some where in the 2o watt range.

why are you keeping your stock speakers anyways? there are a ton of better ones you can replace them with for cheap. the old paper ones cant produce the sound highs and lows at the same time. why not get a set of kenwood 2 or 3 way speakers? they are gonna sound a ton better than the papers, trust me on that one. :aok:

edit: oh yeah, if you wanna know for sure you could take one out and look on the back, it might be stamped on there. the rear speakers are prolly the easiest to get out.

Edited by BigMike

Just listen for cliping in the speakers and keep the volume below that. Car audio is weird there really is no standard in terms of how manufactures list power output so the 200 watt rating on your receiver is not a very meaningful number. You will really notice a difference in sound quality by replacing your factory speakers. As you plan your system half of your total budget should be for speakers.

Most of the Kenwoods put out in the lower 20 watt (22-25) range RMS. They'll hit a peak of around 50 per channel (hence the 200 watt rating ~50x4) peak. That'll only be momentarily, like on a heavy bass note or something along those lines when you've got it cranked. The 200w rating is just a selling point ~ something to put on the front of your head unit for "prosperity". As has been said, RMS rating is the key, the higher the better. Your stock speakers can handle the new deck, just not faithfully reproduce the full range as well as new ones could.

What's more important is whether or not you bypassed your stock amps. That can create a major problem re: blowing speakers, etc. Check the pinned thread here about installing aftermarket stereos ~ everything you can think to ask has more than likely been covered in it. -study-

Trash the stock speakers (more than likely Clarion full range w/ a "whizzer" cone) and pick yourself up some nice 3-ways for both the front & rear, or separates if you can afford it. Your ears will love you for it.

I'm running a Kenwood cassette H/U with their single disc CD & Alpine 3-ways F & R...

post-19-1109916699.jpg

Edited by hardwaretoad

Thank you all for your information. Everything was very helpful. I will definitely change my stock speakers in the near future.

:D