Electronic Adjustable Shock Absorbers

flnl

I went to a shop from a well know suspension expert from here today, asking about what he could do to lift my truck.

Oh, yeah, I know all the discussions and lifts you did. :takebow:

But as a friend of mine had talked to the guy last year I just wanted to know what he thinks, what he could work on. He said he could build coil spacers for the rear, crank the t-bars... ;)

And also rebuild the stock shocks so they could have a longer play, and that the shocks won't loose the adjustable feature... :blink:

The question:

How do the electronic adjustable shock absorbers from Pathfinders work?

Um, short of Nissan stepping in here, I'd say he's full if isht about rebuilding the shocks. I don't see how a random guy is going to be able to do this successfully, let alone to work with the adjustablilty. He surely could come up with some spacers for the rear if you want to go that route, and a Tbar crank is obvious. But the shock situation seems incredibly shady. If you're going to these lengths to save a buck, would it be better to have somebody state-side purchase them and help ship them down to you?

Rancho shocks are so cheap and good, why would you bother???

Electric adjustables are not all that, in my opinion at least!!!

I may be wrong, but the standard shocks are only oil filled, not gas pressurised as well.

Rancho shocks are so cheap and good, why would you bother???

Electric adjustables are not all that, in my opinion at least!!!

I may be wrong, but the standard shocks are only oil filled, not gas pressurised as well.

Brazilian import taxes = 60%

Shipping = $50, $100, or more?

That would make, for example, the Safari snorkel price rise from US$285 to 520. Ugly... :(

So I have to double check all possibilities before discarding... ;)

Edited by flnl

All the electronic adjustable shocks do is change the valving of the the flow path of the shock internals. By having a smaller and narrower pathe, the fluid, gas or oil, flows more restricted. If the opening is enlargened, more fluid can pass through in a shorter amount of time , therefore resulting in a faster, but less dampening shock absorbtion. I.E. an off road shock will have smaller holes to better dampen the larger loads, but small bumps are still felt, whereas, street ones are bigger, so small bumps are smoothed out faster. Make sense?!?!?

M.M.

I believe if you polled the electric shock owners, and asked if they would pay an extra $5 to have electric shocks over conventional shocks, 80% wouldn't bother to pay the extra money. My point - the electric shocks (IMO) don't offer a lot of enhancement. Many just cut the wires and replace with conventional shocks when it's time to replace shocks.

ps - I have my doubts about lengthening an existing shock. Perhaps a shock mount area could be modified, but the shock itself - hmm..... I could be wrong.

Edited by Grumpy

I believe if you polled the electric shock owners, and asked if they would pay an extra $5 to have electric shocks over conventional shocks, 80% wouldn't bother to pay the extra money. My point - the electric shocks (IMO) don't offer a lot of enhancement. Many just cut the wires and replace with conventional shocks when it's time to replace shocks.

ps - I have my doubts about lengthening an existing shock. Perhaps a shock mount area could be modified, but the shock itself - hmm..... I could be wrong.

I agree. I have my doubts if any rebuild like this would last 10% of the original shocks.