Pathy Amp Info

cham

Take it to a reputable stereo shop. Best Buy is a bunch of Idiots that only know how to use their plug-n-play harnesses. Bypass the factory amps. You just replace door speakers and just run new speaker wires to the head unit. At $65/hr, with high quality new door speakers installed i'd charge roughly $275 out the door at my shop.

It's likely the amp. Or the relay that powers the amp.

Find someone who can read a schematic and can test the connector in to the amp. Under the left-rear panel.

When the stereo is turned on, a signal wire from the radio to the amp tells it to turn on. But then it takes it's power from a separate circuit.

These can easily be tested with a volt-meter. Standard electrical troubleshooting will determine if the amp is bad or if it's a problem somewhere in one of the circuits.

If it's just the amp, replace it with a $100 aftermarket amp that's small enough to replace the factory amp. Or for that matter, find a direct replacement amp on ebay.

• Like 1

Thank you all so very much for your extremely helpful info!

I had looked at amps on Ebay, but if mine failed after 15 years, I'm hesitant to buy one that is just as old, spent $35 and it fails in a few months.

Thanks, I was pondering about taking it to another audio place. You guys are amazing!!!

Be careful, most of the box audio stores, best buy, car toys, etc are worthless. Look at the hiring ads for them sometime, they require no experience or skill to hire. They pay people $12 an hour, give them a few pages of instructions and turn them loose on people's cars.

I have had to repair lots of connections these places made because they don't know proper automotive wiring. Look for a reputable independent auto customization shop. It will probably cost more, but you will get a better product.

I stopped by an independent shop today, and they are going to bypass the amps and replace the speakers for $315 on Saturday. The speakers still function, but due to the age, I have no doubt the Best Buy guy was right about them only having a few years life in them.

All your guidance has been a tremendous help! The info of being told of the price I should be expecting made a huge difference as well, thanks again!!!