Rpm and Speedo Jumping randomly?

maddmark1981

there are threads on here about fixing the inst cluster. sometimes you just have to dive in and have at it. The inst cluster is labor but little to no parts expense so if it doesn't work, all your out is time

^This!

The speedo in my first 1995 failed (as in didn't work at all) for years, regardless of checking the screws, connections, etc. Since it was a 5 speed, I just ignored it and drove by gear and RPM. I bought my second 1995 with a failed tach (as in didn't work at all), and swapped out the tachs so I would have one good cluster and one dead cluster. When I reinstalled the dead cluster into the old 1995, the speedo started working flawlessly. Figure that one out!

I recommend you get another gauge cluster from a junk yard or part out and play alphabet soup to get a working set.

B

Check fusible link connector mine was doing the same thing and I found the connector was full of road grime. Don't ask me how road grime gets into a connection but it was in there. Spray it out with electrics cleaner and maybe tape it up to stop it happening again.

• Like 1

My guess is they are loose and not connected to the + terminal properly. That was the issue with mine, the wires were just jammed in there so I crimped sone ring connectors on the ends of the wire then attached them to the through bolt on the + terminal.