Speaker Info

cham

I have a 2002 Pathfinder LE with the bose system, everything factory and I want to replace all the speakers. This includes the coaxials in the back doors and the component system up front. I just recently heard that the bose system in this car actually has a sub installed somewhere. I have yet to confirm this though. I also heard it has 2 amps one to power the sub and one for the speakers, I have yet to confirm this too. If anyone can enlighten me in any of these subjects that would be nice. Anyways, I know the amp that powers the speakers puts out a constant 2 ohms to the factory speakers. I want to install 4 ohm speakers and I was wondering if there was anyway I could achieve this without having to replace the amp? I don't want the significant drop in quality that would come with hooking up 4 ohm speakers to a 2 ohm amp or possibly a blown speaker. Anyone with knowledge please help me out!

The factory service manual is available online through links you can find on this site.

It will tell you specifically how the Bose system was laid out in 2002.

There is probably something you can do to use 4ohm speakers. One of which is to replace your head unit with a new one and use it without an amp, or with a new amp....but you want to avoid a new amp...so yes, you can bypass that amp altogether if you get a new head unit.

I don't expect you want that option...so perhaps there's a way to adapt 4ohm speakers to a 2ohm system?

There is also the possibility of just using the 4ohm speakers and just losing volume. You just need to turn the knob farther than you otherwise would.

Here is the link to the 2002 FSM.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2002_Pathfinder/

If you want to increase the overall volume you need to output more watts. Either by getting a bigger amp, or getting a higher watt head unit.

I've done the head-unit/speaker upgrade, but I'm still using the factory amp.

I have no experience with replacing the amp. The trick way to do it would be to use the factory wiring and find an aftermarket amp that will fit in the stock location and utilize connector adapters, but I'm not sure anyone has ever done that.

I don't know that the aftermarket supports this application with ready-made adapters.

Ok thanks that seems like the smarter route but if I were to get a head unit, and I want to replace all my speakers with (they were listed at)10-100 watt 4 ohm speakers, what kind of watt output would I need from the HU because on crutchfield, most of the headunits I'm seeing have an RMS power output of 14 watts, is that enough? Also will the aftermarket HU fit in the factory space tight and flush?

Edited by cham

Do you have the remote CD changer option?

Other than that, your Bose system looks identical to my non-Bose system from 1997 (that has an optional amp).

Is your head unit a single DIN or double DIN size? (2" high or 4" high?)

What I did is that I replaced my single DIN unit with a double DIN Video receiver. I just removed an empty cubby to make room for the double height head unit. It came with a bezel that made it sit flush under the existing bezel and looks clean.

I replicated the factory speaker setup by getting a component system for the front half (2-ways for the door, tweeters for pillar) and 3-way speakers for the rear doors.

I'm not sure how the Bose system is connected in the '02 model, but in my '97, the rear speakers are driven by an amp mounted inside the body cavity behind the left rear cargo plastic panel (in front of the tail light). I believe the front speakers are driven by the HU, but have a crossover built-in to each front speaker in the door in order to split the signal between the A-pillar tweeter and the door speaker. There is no subwoofer or subwoofer amp.

When I replaced my audio system a while ago, I ditched the HU, factory speakers and amps and installed a Pioneer AVIC NAV unit. The rear speaker outputs on the HU drive the rear speakers at the HU's rated power output. The front speakers and a JLAudio Stealthbox 10" subwoofer are driven by an Alpine MRP-F450 4-channel amp, with the front channels driving the front speakers, and the amp rear channels bridged to power the sub. The amp is wedged into the space previously occupied by the factory Bose rear-speaker amp.

All 4 of the door speakers are 2-way 6" drivers (I forget who makes them; it's been a while).

It wasn't cheap, but the sound is soooo much better than the factory system was.

Yeah you are right about the factory setup Im pretty sure but when I was talking to a crutchfield assistant online, he said there were two amps in each front door individually powering each front speaker, I asked him if he was talking about the crossovers and he didn't really give a definitive answer. So this means I can change the front speakers to what ever component setup I want just as long as I correspond that to the headunit? Well what are the specs of a headunit to match 4 ohm 10-100 watt component speakers?