Passenger exhaust manifold

Jmoor85

Looks like I'm going to tackle the leaky exhaust manifold this weekend. Figured I'd start by taking the heat shield off and spraying the bolts with pb blaster. However I saw something not quite right. Is this little ground strap supposed to be here? Also if so I'm guessing this is the the proper bolt to be holding it down. What is it supposed to be grounding?

68F95ECC-2E85-486A-B5D7-2D63B7AC0C51_zps

Oh man .

I feel for you.

Im about to dip into the same job after I perform a complete tune up , water pump , timing belt , thermostat , cam seals , etc .

Keep us posted on the walk thru/step by step .

Good luck

Okay cool. I'll make sure it stays there but actually secured be not just free floating.

So who is really good at tapping and drilling out broken exhaust manifold studs? Seriously!!!!! I'm pretty well pissed right now. They all came out way too easy. Except for the two closest to firewall which just fell off when I touched them. They were siliconed in there. Someone snapped them off and siliconed them back. My grandpa probably paid someone for help and got screwed.

Wtf. I am really getting pissed. I think maybe I should just keep this post going for all the issues that will arise. I'm getting pissed pretty quickly. I just saw the cv axels. Holy crap there are som dumb people out there. Rags and zip ties holding the grease in. What is wrong with people. I'll have to post pictures for you. I'm getting discouraged fast with this. Oh and ball joints are shot.

Okay cool. I'll make sure it stays there but actually secured be not just free floating.

So who is really good at tapping and drilling out broken exhaust manifold studs? Seriously!!!!! I'm pretty well pissed right now. They all came out way too easy. Except for the two closest to firewall which just fell off when I touched them. They were siliconed in there. Someone snapped them off and siliconed them back. My grandpa probably paid someone for help and got screwed.

Yes, that ground strap is supposed to be secure, and no, that isn't the stock fastener by a long shot.

I've driled and tapped more holes than most people have seen, but in a machine shop, not on a Pathy engine block. Are you asking advice on how to deal with them?

Yeah, by the looks of it, someone cheated Gramps and should be horse whipped. Unless Gramps agreed to a quick fix; some old timers do that, my dad included...

B

Thanks for agreeing precise. Can we take turns whipping? Did you see the cv boots? Grrrrr. I will need to invest in a nice quality tap set. I don't think Phillip headed screws go on the exhaust. I got broken stud out. One more to get off on the block then two the are broken on the collector part of the manifold.

40254D53-2810-4672-A130-0D01423C0EC8_zps

I also wouldn't put it past my gramps to have agreed to a "quick fix". He was a man who knew how to zip tie anything to fix it.

I must have the worst luck. I swear I get into some sketchy situations for no reason to benefit me. As I'm drilling out the last broken exhaust stud my drill bit breaks off into the stud. It wasn't sticking out at all. I couldn't figure out how to go any further. So I took the smallest easy-out but and tapped it into the little bit of hole that was open and was able to slowly take everything out.

Not sure how many TA fans there are here but here are some pics of my 78 Trans Am I restored. It was in bad shape. Took 8 years and a crooked body shop for me to finish it. After getting my money stolen and almost losing my car I finished it myself.

C8B82AB1-B49C-48AB-855F-4825994980AB_zps

9E2E5959-D741-4ACF-AD9C-8A4FBFE2176F_zps

264984AC-5D2F-4417-9722-52098B8DC225_zps

2B8ED7B6-E682-440E-82F0-2A20504D5AB4_zps

9CE6562D-DFF6-4EE1-829B-BEDB53384244_zps

Edited by Jmoor85

I used some cheap replacement when I bought my 1992 a few years back. They seem to be holding up fine, although I only drive it maybe 2 times a week or so. Been ~30k miles mixed city/dirt road rambling

Thanks Rogue! It's a fun car. It moves!!! 408hp on engine dyno. 300+ to the wheels. It's a 4speed post rear. I like it because it's not a Camaro or Mustang. You seen one of them you seen them all. Surprisingly I get more compliments for the ladies and kids. my 5 year old son LOVES it.