Infamous shake body vibration between 45-65mph

BuffaloR50

5d233d49a5b2b454137e25f5ac237460.jpgHi everyone I'm new here and looking for some help.

I just purchased my 2003 Pathfinder LE about a month ago. It's super clean and I couldn't pass up the deal cause I know how reliable these things are.

I bought it knowing that the vibration was there and thinking that I could buy manual locking hubs and it would hopefully get rid of the issue.

Well I found a set on ebay brand new for $85 so I jumped on them. Well I just got around to installing them and the vibration was gone while the front end was spinning freely. Well today the vibration started again and now it feels like it's coming from the back.

The dealer I bought it from replaced all the u joints before I bought it thinking that was the problem.

Before I start throwing money at it trying to figure out the issue. I wanted to know if anyone had some info cause I've heard others having this issue but no real fix to it.

Pics for clicks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not a cheap option if you have a mechanic do it - but mine was ball joints. Over a period of a couple months it came and went, mostly a little vibration around 45mph, pulled a little around 55, and my tires were taking a bit of unnecessary outside edge wear. Also had an odd humming - like mud tires - but I have ATs. Replaced ball joints and the vibration is gone. Tire noise is still there - not as loud. You could take it in and get an opinion from a mechanic - that is usually my first step.

Ok, U joints was my first guess, but there is the infamous R50 death wobble which is caused by the trailing arm bushings for the rear axle as well.

First, just a little info please...

How many miles on the vehicle?

Is the vibration speed or rotation related? (ie, does the vibration occurr at a certain speed or range, or does it vibrate 2x as fast going from 20 to 40 mph?)

How mechanically inclined are you and do you have tools and a place to work on it?

Congrats on your 'new' Pathy BTW, it looks real nice!

B

The truck has 123,000 miles.

I believe it's speed related as anything under 40mph the vibration is non existent.

Any work that's going to be done to the truck will be done by me. I am mechanically inclined and I've got a nice parts truck at my work with only 96k on it so I have access to some extra stuff like drive shafts and possibly a new rear end if it's necessary.

I think all the trailing arm bushings need to be replaced but they arnt too bad yet so I'd rather try to source the vibration issue first. They are on my list though of things to do.

Edited by BuffaloR50

^ which is why I don't recommend spacers on principle...

I believe it's speed related as anything under 40mph the vibration is non existent.

OK, good info (along with everything else), but does the vibration increase in frequency with an increase in speed?

What frequency would you describe it as at 40 mph? At 60 mph?

B

It's definitely gradual starts at 40 and it's the worst at like 55 then goes away by like 70mph and it's smooth.

Doesn't feel like a wheel off balence, it's coming from somewhere in the driveline.

The truck is completely stock other then the locking hubs I just put on.

It's weird cause it went away with the front disengaged and now seems to be coming from the back.

Edited by BuffaloR50

Idk if I'm going crazy but I can't understand this.

When the hubs are locked the vibration is definitely worse cause you can feel it in the front and the back and it goes away in the front when unlocked. I'm coming to the idea that it has to do with the driveshafts. Both front and rear but what are the chases both area bad.

It vibrates in neutral gear while coasting at 55 so I don't think it's the tranny.

Possibly bad motor mount or transmission mount

Luckily I don't have to pay for them cause I can get it from work but I'd hate to do the work and have it not be the problem.

Edited by BuffaloR50

I've been chasing a similar vibration on my 01 for a while now, I also run manual hubs. So far I've replaced all u-joints front and rear, cv shafts (mainly due to torn boots and all kinds of grit in there), front struts, rear brakes w/new wheel cylinders and hardware kit (had a stuck piston in a wheel cylinder causing it to hang up a cause a shudder). All these items were worn and due to be replaced, and vibration seems to slightly decrease with each repair. Next on the list is rear shocks, front lower control arms (this will take care of ball joints and lca bushings in one shot), rebalance wheels and a fresh alignment. I'll keep you posted on my progress, you keep me posted on your findings...

The truck looks like the struts have been replaced.

It rides really good. Although i have no maintence records from anything.

Idk are there strut top mounts on these that need to be replaced with the suspension maybe it wasn't done.

I do eventually want to lift it but I'm still getting my car ready for a show in October. (H2oi in ocean city) So the truck is being put off til after the cars off the road. Just trying to get ideas of what I should do first when the time comes

• 3 weeks later...

couple questions for Buffalo

1. What Brand Hubs did you use and did they fit without modification with those 17 inch Platinum style wheels ?

2. Any further progress on the vibration .. mine is doing same ... I have 2004 with 63K ...

Ok I just changed out both rear u joints ... no good ... still vibrates .... but they were crunchy anyway ...

Just pulled the front shaft and yup ...no vibes ... so off to get a used shaft at junkie ...or have mine balanced ....and maybe do the hubs too if they will fit my wheels ...

Thanks Rebelord , but thinking if the vibration is gone with front driveshaft removed ... Wheel bearings must be ok ...but I will stay aware of that if any vibrations arise in the future

Thanks Rebelord , but thinking if vibrations gone with front Driveshaft removed ... the whhel bearings must be good ... but I will stay aware of them if any more vibration pop up in the future ...

Wheel bearings will not cause a vibration unless they're dangerously loose or failing. Jack it up and wiggle the tires....you'll know it then.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks Rebelord , but thinking if vibrations gone with front Driveshaft removed ... the whhel bearings must be good ... but I will stay aware of them if any more vibration pop up in the future ...

That is odd, because the front driveshaft shouldn't be spinning unless you are in 4wd, and the front CVs shouldn't be spinning since you installed manual hubs (and have them unlocked I assume).

Simply put, none of the frond end drive components would be turning when you drive on the road so they couldn't be the source of a vibration. :shrug:

B

Correct. Was on Tapatalk which has been acting weird for this site. So, probably ended up reading the thread backwards.

As for mine in my issue. I had no vibs until 60+ mph. Then the front would gradually shake horribly. Imagine all your lugnuts coming off type horrible. Pulled the hubs off and all the grease poured out like black water.

I noticed you also have a 2004. Since you put on manual hubs. Your front driveshaft should not be spinning. UNLESS you left it in Auto Mode. As the AUTO mode will send power to the front from a multitude of different detection's.

Hey just saw the posts. I havent been working on my truck much the past few weeks. The vibration is still there.

I got the rugged ridge hubs and the wheels fit fine right over them. Just had to pop out the center caps. No modification

I'm thinking the drive shaft may need to be rebalenced but I'm going to change my rear trailing arm bushings and maybe get some new rear shocks and an alignment.

If that doesn't change the vibrations at all I'll pull the rear driveshaft and take it somewhere to get rebalanced.

I'll post results once I've done that stuff.

Edited by BuffaloR50

Just to be clear . I have not yet installed manual hubs . I have pulled out the front driveshaft , and have had it balanced , but have not re installed it .

The Truck has no vibration , at all without the front drive shaft ... I have been driving like that for two weeks .. I just hope there is no harm in it ...

The only thing that happens is occasionally the ABS light comes on . and Today the 4WD light came on ...

Any way , I do plan to put the re-balanced front DS back in this weekend .and next step is to install the Rugged Ridge Manual hubs ... especially sooner

if I get any vibration back .

Hey just saw the posts. I havent been working on my truck much the past few weeks. The vibration is still there.

I got the rugged ridge hubs and the wheels fit fine right over them. Just had to pop out the center caps. No modification

I'm thinking the drive shaft may need to be rebalenced but I'm going to change my rear trailing arm bushings and maybe get some new rear shocks and an alignment.

If that doesn't change the vibrations at all I'll pull the rear driveshaft and take it somewhere to get rebalanced.

I'll post results once I've done that stuff.

Buffalo, I think you should first completely rule out wheel balance first. You simply said that you can tell it doesn't feel like wheel balance...but I don't trust your pronouncement! (I don't trust myself in this regard either).

Here's why. You put in manual hubs and it went away for a while, then came back from the rear? I will bet you rotated your tires while you were installing hubs?

Even if you didn't, wheels out of balance will cause vibration to come and go as the various imbalances line up just right to cancel each other out.

So if you haven't rotated, rotate them now and see if the vibration comes back to the front.

I suggest you have all 4 tires rebalanced by a reputable shop.

Also consider you may have a bad tire carcass that is out of round.

Then, check your driveshaft alignment with the pinion. Put a dial indicator on the driveshaft at each end, then spin the driveline and look for any runout whatsoever. You said the dealer replaced the U-joints. If the tech was in a hurry and sloppy they might not be bolted on perfectly straight.

Next thing to do is check the pinion angle. I know it's all stock, so pinion angle shouldn't be off. But perhaps wear over time?

• 1 month later...

Ok have an update replaced rear trailing arm bushings with polyurathane ones from 4x4parts and rear struts with kyb gas-a-justs.

The vibration is still there but the truck rides way better. I have an appointment to have the drive shaft looked at to see if it needs to be balanced or someone bent something while changing the u-joints.

I'll update later next week of the outcome.