1993 swing away tire carrier

Jmoor85

I ready everything on here everyone has posted. Result seem to vary. Quickly I wanted to let everyone know that yes my pathy has the dimples where they want you to drill for the lower latching brackets and yes when I removed the rubber plugs under plastic cover I do see threaded nuts for them to attach.

Next I went to junk yard to get the upper and lower brackets for the mounting section and swings. The outer one was simple to remove. The inner upper was spot welded. Couldn't get it. The lower was impossible. I'm bringing a sawall tomorrow.

66F1E533-7D00-45F0-8302-CD3000E415AC_zps

So today I went to a different junk yard. Brought a battery powered sawall. Here are what the bracket look like behind the sheet metal.

E06A2733-33A5-4612-B92F-507E0D54130D_zps

Lower panel bracket.

72308F0C-3899-498A-BED8-2CC9ADA11E63_zps

Here is after they are cut out.

C4A09EFE-ECCA-44F4-994D-52E5D1224FEB_zps

• Like 2

Thank you very much for documenting that, it will help greatly! Yes, I believe that you are correct that there aren't pictures of that quality/detail available until now... :aok:

Good luck with the install.

B

I have a 91 XE. When I bought it a year ago it came with the tire carrier off the truck. My problem is I can't find the 2 small brackets that mount below the tail gate. Living in the rust belt took care of all of the ones in the junk yards around me long ago. Anyone have any ideas of where I should look?

Mall parking lot :lol: kidding, watch. Part outs on here if your yards yield no results.

Jmoor, your going to have to put those brackets on a diet a little if you don't want to cut at your inner structure but you will get them to fit. This is the route I went when I did mine but never took good pics.

Whoa. Hey I didn't realize I had replies on this. Guess my notifications are not turned on.

Hammer time. I believe I have an extra set of brackets you can have if you pay shipping. However I do believe the latch bracket has an opening for a sensor similar to that of the doors. They are yours if you want to though. Let me know if you want pictures.

I put both the top inner brackets in last night. The one that faces straight out the back I bent a litt to get it to swing out. I was able to screw in the two two inner bolts but I now need to find a way to straighten it back out. Maybe once I drill holes I can screw a bolt and slide hammer it straight little by little. Otherwise yet I'll need to trim the corners. Trying to avoid that.

As for the bottom one I am thinking of using a small actuating saw (like used to bodyshops) and trim under rather the rear quarter, fold it out, insert bracket and bolt it up, then weld back shut and grind down.

Taking my time on this so it comes out as "stock" appearing as possible.

Also has anyone tried using a zero fitting to keep the hinges of carrier greased? Not too much but enough to fight off rust and corrosion?

Also has anyone tried using a zero fitting to keep the hinges of carrier greased? Not too much but enough to fight off rust and corrosion?

You will have to notch the body side brackets where the zerks fittings will be when open so you don't rip them off first time you swing it out and if you don't clean up after yourself it will eventually make a mess on your quarter panel but it is doable.

86ba69b6.jpg

So I figured I would update everyone on how mine has turned out. Had some free time today so I decided to do the mounting.

First I want to say if you take your time you can mount all the brackets without choking them up and still utilize the inside framing to hold brackets in place which are where the carrier is needing it's supports. There I a smaller bracket that mounts on the bottom bracket that needed two hole drilled in to screw to the already mounted bolts. To do that I already had all exterior holes drilled and aligned with carrier. I spray painted the back of the bracket black which needed the holes drilled. Then using the outer bottom holes I inserted a pick and circled the inside of nuts to leave a score mark in paint. I removed the bracket, drilled holes and bolted in place.

18676F88-6F6F-4940-9FF6-B5468D9C86F7_zps

With the brackets bolted together like this they can easily be inserted into place by going behind the tail light and pushing it into place in the same angle it need to be bolted. I trimmed off the top lip of long "V" shape bracket to allow me to slide it up.

Here is the top outer bracket to bolts to the inside of b pillar.

6D44E1B0-B468-4081-9257-FCA6007832AE_zps

As you can see I trimmed off the corner to allow it to also slide around from behind the taillight. I am still able to bolt it to inside structure as the factory intended. This was the only trimming I had to do. The latching bracket and stablility bracket just just need holes drilled out since the threaded its were already in place.

39E17FC9-042C-4009-843D-F0FB8C598DFC_zps

D98E7C3C-AE07-4169-8ACF-626CAACE87AC_zps

5C0F29A6-9527-4A2F-9372-2EE0ACD3CCF9_zps

0BD6290F-8AEF-4AF5-A841-0A38349D5573_zps

Here it is all finished.

0379D299-99E7-4E9B-91CA-A8618F4FB632_zps

BC0B1324-0E1C-49A7-A19D-4B3F4C05C44D_zps

DDEF4D81-3831-499B-94F8-8A30DEA804C3_zps

It was not a hard job at all. Just take your time and think about what you are doing. I'd say most important is to use the interior structure. Do not just cut your brackets and bolt them up. Eventually you will strict the sheet metal and your carrier will not be doing its job.

On a side note. I found some running boards for $15 at junk yard on another 93. Sanded hem and painted. I need to get some grip tape to finish off but the work. Got some better flares for front since they were dry and grey and wouldn't come back to life like the rear ones did when I used the Mothers "back to black". I painted the rear wiper since it was also faded and the two strut tabs that were all faded. Cleans it up a bit. Of yeah and check out the rear Nissan hatch piece. It was all warpped. I replaced that and used the back to black as well.

A8F61360-D9D4-4F0C-A2B5-B09B0CF9BA55_zps

0B0E381B-8653-439D-889F-0F7A7B1B6832_zps

Haha. No kingman. Glad I'm not the only one. When I started cutting there were some guys yelling "holy fu** he is not messing around, he must really want whatever he is after". I don't believe is messing around.

#1-you got thew old brackets,,

#2-cut them back to original shape

#3-drilled holes on your pathfinder

#4 screwed the tire carrier to the old bracket

did you weld anything on your truck?

Nope. I did not weld anything. I only trimmed the corner edge of the one bracket and then the lip of the bottom bracket. I wanted to make it as if it was factory installed. I don't like chopping and welding things that could have been done right if thought through and not rushed. Took about 4 hrs to complete. I called the dealership here and asked them when they would charge me if I supplied the carrier and brackets and all hardware. He said starting would be $1300. I asked if that was his price because he didn't want to do it. He said no but most likely would have to remove the rear skin to access the inner structure for mounting the brackets. I call BS

Wanna take a guess how much this whole thing cost me? Not including the beer I drank while doing it?

Nope. I did not weld anything. I only trimmed the corner edge of the one bracket and then the lip of the bottom bracket. I wanted to make it as if it was factory installed. I don't like chopping and welding things that could have been done right if thought through and not rushed. Took about 4 hrs to complete. I called the dealership here and asked them when they would charge me if I supplied the carrier and brackets and all hardware. He said starting would be $1300. I asked if that was his price because he didn't want to do it. He said no but most likely would have to remove the rear skin to access the inner structure for mounting the brackets. I call BS

Wanna take a guess how much this whole thing cost me? Not including the beer I drank while doing it?

OK sweet. i"ll be doing this to mine. under $50?