Need new truck: Pathfinder or Xterra?

raz

Hello

I'm in the market for a new truck and am looking at opinions on an Xterra (2nd gen or newer) vs a Pathfinder 01-04, manual tranny.

My main use will be taking clients with heavy paragliding gear off road so I need something with good rear suspension so it doesn't bottom out. I believe both Xterra and Pathfinder stock rear suspensions are too mushy for that, but not sure which is easier to modify and beef up. OME makes beefier springs for the pathfinder that are reasonable.

Also, which has the better reliability record? I know the 3.5L V6 engine in the '01-'04 Pathfinder is very reliable.

Currently, money is not an issue. I just need the right truck for the job and don't want to settle on something that won't work. I'm even contemplating getting a relatively new Xterra Pro 4x if it will do the job. But not sure how much I'd have to mod it so it doesn't bottom out off road with a heavy load.

Thx for your replies,
Raz

Edited by raz

I think you are on the right path...er...Xterra. Based on your requirements...I would get the Pro4X. Its designed to do all the things you are looking for.

I had one that generation and it has plenty of space/power and a better after market if you feel you need to modify it. The 6 speed is right off the Z and suits the 4 litre well.

the Pathfinder has more cargo room, though you will have to in either case get either stiffer rear coil or leaf springs to carry a "heavy load". I've got Iron Man coils that let me load 400lbs more than than stock gross vehicle weight and work quite well with 4 adults, 1 large dog and camping gear for a weekend. other springs you might consider are Old Man Emu (much easier to get) or AC (auto motive customizer) at 4x4parts.com.

• Like 1