Parking brake

hagge

Hi!

I will try to explain this problem in english the best i can:

I have rear disc brakes on my WD21 Terrano 3.0 1994.

If i engage the parking brake when rolling forward there is a loud "klonk" sound before the brakes apply.

Same thing if i am rolling backwards.

When standing still with the parking brake engaged i can still move the car back and forth a bit, with a klonk sound when the brakes apply..

The whole brake shoe assembly seems to be moving around with the rotor/ drum until the shoes reaches a stop and makes the klonk sound.

I have had the rotors or discs off and checked the parking brake assembly, but i cant see any obvious problem.

The shoes could be moved around a bit,

Al the parts seemed to be in place according to the Chilton manual

Is this normal?

I am having the truck to the annual check upp soon and i dont think it will pass with that sound.

Hmm... not too sure. My first thought was that cable might be sticky or binding somewhere but that just because I work on bicycles all day. I was thinking while writing that perhaps there is a lip on the inside part of the drum section that is no longer aligned with the brake pads which causes them to ride up on it before dropping into the drum, but that's just my opinion. I hope that someone who has more experience can help!

Edited by SpecialWarr

I never use my parking brake but am thinking about the mechanism to see if I can come up with anything for you. Hope someone also chimes in with assistance. Good luck.

If, let's say, you are rolling forward to test for the klonk and you hear it, what happens if you release the parking brake and do it again in the same direction? Does the klonk go away and will occur again only if you do it rolling backwards?

If, let's say, you are rolling forward to test for the klonk and you hear it, what happens if you release the parking brake and do it again in the same direction? Does the klonk go away and will occur again only if you do it rolling backwards?

Yes! that is exactly how the sound occures.

It dissapears when only rolling forward, then occures again when rolling backwards.

The faster i roll the louder the sound.

And also at a stand still with the brake engaged, i can still move the car back and fourth a bit with a "klonk" at the ends

Does the klonk appear to be coming from both rear wheels? Are the wheels, lug nuts and rotors stock or aftermarket? It might not be the brake shoe assembly that is moving, but the rotor/disc itself.

Does the klonk appear to be coming from both rear wheels? Are the wheels, lug nuts and rotors stock or aftermarket? It might not be the brake shoe assembly that is moving, but the rotor/disc itself.

I think it comes mostly from the right wheel.

I think the rotors are aftermarket, wheels and nuts for sure...

But the rotors was really stuck to the hub when i had them off, so i dont think it is them.

I will search on.

And try to adjust the shoes.