Oil Light On

headpeace

So today on my way to work my oil light came on, it flashed on and off a couple of times then it came on and stayed on until just before I got to work. I just checked my oil yesterday and it was fine on the dipstick, plus I have an oil pressure gauge I installed years ago that showed my oil pressure was good (makes me wonder if it is actually working correctly). Anyone know what the oil light sensor is actually measuring and where? Any ideas why the oil light is coming on?

There is an oil pressure switch located near your oil filter on the block. The oil light is run off this switch and likely the wire is getting worn or corroded somehow. Mine used to flash when it grounded on the frame as it was pulled off the sensor from the previous owner. I'd check there first and see what you find.

D

That's exactly what happened on my 98 Frontier. Back before I knew how to change my own oil, the @$$ clown changing the oil ripped the sensor wire somehow (literally, ripped it with enough force to fray the wire strands) and just left it hanging. It kept grounding, triggering the light. Drove me crazy until I found it (and then I was furious to find it that way).

Edited by hawairish

Do it right away though, just to be safe. A buddy of mine just lost some oil driving across Nevada due to a small leak, and while he noticed it before the idiot light came on, he still had to rebuild to top valve train due to oil starvation...

B

• 2 weeks later...