2002 Pathfinder, 5 Speed- what rpm on highway?

Just bought it. Still under dealer warranty 3 more weeks. 2002 pathfinder se, 5 speed manual transmission. 85000 miles.

Love my Pathfinder. It's my second pathfinder. First was a 1996 se automatic.

What rpm should it be at highway speeds? Mine seems high. Maybe about 3000 rpm at 70mph. I'll get more accurate info tomorrow.

Please tell me. What should my rpm at highway speeds be? Help from anyone is appreciated, especially if you have a 5 speed.

13 year factory warranty? That's news to me!

3000 at 70 seems high to me, but it may have been purchased with towing gears.

I do not have a 5-speed, so I can't give you what you want. Sorry.

Hopefully someone else will pipe in.

So what size tires do you have? listing that in your post might help.

Also look up the axle code on the door sticker and list that too.

This is correct, about 3000 RPM at 70 mph. They were designed to be able to tow. The only thing that could reasonably affect this, aside from changing the gearing, or different sized tires (a little bit), would be a slipping clutch. And if that was happening you'd know it right away any time you tried to accelerate briskly, your RPMs would jump way up.

• Like 1

3000 rpm at 70 is actually not bad at all! It does after all range up to 8000. So anything below 4 is still decent for cruising. This isn't a modern "Eco-flex-hybrid" Prius engine after all. Just a plain old fashioned gas guzzling V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Truthiness! I just bought a 2001 Pathfinder SE 3.5l 4x4 with a 5 speed to replace my older 97' Pathfinder 3.3Liter 2wd AT. My 01' 5 speed does the same thing and I was looking to see if normal because I'm running stock everything right now and getting 16mpg and that's using cruise and regular unleaded. My 97' Pathfinder 3.3Liter gets about 18.5 mpgs and is automatic transmission and runs about 2500rpm on the highway at 70mph. What kind of mileage are you getting???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I only work 4 miles from my house and only use the freeway to go wheeling. I'm on 33s and 2" ac lift with 1"spacer and around town I pull 11-13 mpg. I suspect I pull 15-16 on the freeway but have not confirmed since I am always loaded down for camping when I hit the freeway. Cap mileage but Noone lifts their suv for good mileage lol. Also I have the 3.5 auto with 4.6 gears and lsd

Hey Truthiness! I just bought a 2001 Pathfinder SE 3.5l 4x4 with a 5 speed to replace my older 97' Pathfinder 3.3Liter 2wd AT. My 01' 5 speed does the same thing and I was looking to see if normal because I'm running stock everything right now and getting 16mpg and that's using cruise and regular unleaded. My 97' Pathfinder 3.3Liter gets about 18.5 mpgs and is automatic transmission and runs about 2500rpm on the highway at 70mph. What kind of mileage are you getting???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

2 things:

1) Congrats on finding my unicorn! Lol. Have been looking very hard for an 01 or 02 5spd 4x4 se, all I find is either too rusty, mileage in the 200's or gone when I get there. Please don't tell me you have a sunroof too...

2) The 01 3.5 recommends using 91 octane or higher. Don't get me wrong, it'll run fine on regular (ran regular for about a year while gas prices were over $4/gal for regular and almost $5 for premium), but it runs better and I consistently get around 2mpg better on premium.

Thread jacking over...

• Like 1

I have a 2002 SE 5 speed with stock tires (255/65) that I got last December. It turns 2750 rpm at 70. However, the speedometer reads a bit high, maybe 5%. So, it's probably around 2900 at a true 70.

Bill C