Steering Wheel Radio Switch giving me fits...

scottrainey

Hi all -

I've got an '01 Pathy, and I've had intermittent issues with my steering wheel radio switch. I've replaced it with switches from junkers three different times, and it always seems my results varied on which controls would work and which wouldn't. (Note: the cruise control module works perfectly, as does the horn, and I have no airbag light on).

I finally broke down and bought a new OEM switch from nissanpartsdeal.com, after a tech at Car Toys assured me it "had to be the switch," as he was able to push one of the buttons really hard and get it to respond. (Um, okay). Anyway, I figured buying a new switch was something I hadn't tried yet, so I did it. When I first installed it, everything worked! Yay! Then, for no apparent reason, the volume up button stopped responding, as did the "mode" button to switch inputs. This happened within minutes. :headwall:

I've read about the spiral clock spring wires having issues, but wouldn't I have problems across the board if it were bad? Is it possible there's a loose connector somewhere going from the radio controls to the harness?

Also, what curse am I under that replacement clock spring wires seem to be made from unicorn hide and fairy blood? I can think of no other reason that the assembly for my rig costs anywhere from $70 used to over $200 new, and the same part for other Nissans (brand new, mind you) run between $15 - $50? :wtf:

Pricing, it's simple, supply and demand. Not a lot of people are having to replace that part because the pathfinder is not that popular of a car when compared to any other vehicles in its class, or any in nissans line up.

But I think your on to something with looking for loose or failing connections. Clock spring sound like it would be the highest chance do to how much moving it had to do. But do you search over to the rest of the car and just check the other connections before spending the money.

-Kyle

I had the same problem with my switch. Had to press hard or repeatedly. Took it apart, cleaned contacts, checked continuity, switch appeared fine. Moot now because I changed radios and did not retain switch function.

Oh, and if you go the same route and decide to delete the switch, there's a panel cover Nissan sells. Don't buy it. It doesn't fit without removing a bracket...or without removing the steering wheel as best as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here but I bought a pretty nice Pioneer brand car stereo head unit that my installer recommended I go ahead and buy the unit with harness that allows for me to retain access. Before, mind you; mine acted quirky too but works pretty consistently now and even does SiriusXM and full screen DVD player access with forward moving access and back up camera. Bad ass I must proclaim! It's the 4700 series Pioneer 7inch screen that is a double din radio that will even work with factory Bose speakers. It's best price and package I found was right about $360 with the bypass switch and the steering wheel controls. (Don't forget to get a Metra harness and antenna adapter too; I forgot!) Hope this helps my Pathy friends!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 8/28/2015 at 10:36 AM, hawairish said:
I had the same problem with my switch. Had to press hard or repeatedly. Took it apart, cleaned contacts, checked continuity, switch appeared fine. Moot now because I changed radios and did not retain switch function.

Oh, and if you go the same route and decide to delete the switch, there's a panel cover Nissan sells. Don't buy it. It doesn't fit without removing a bracket...or without removing the steering wheel as best as I can tell.

Interesting this came up when I searched wheel bearing. This is the issue I am having with my switch. I got a couple of switches from the JY this weekend but haven’t tried them. Hopefully this works. I’d be bummed if I got the switch interface module and it doesn’t work anymore.

Update: yeah this didn't work.. I tried  all three switches and one seemed a little more responsive than the others but still no "mode" or "track up" options. It's strange because when I was programming the module for the switch, I kept seeing the light on the device turn on as if they worked when those buttons were pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Astrorami

On 7/24/2018 at 5:55 AM, Astrorami said:

Update: yeah this didn't work.. I tried  all three switches and one seemed a little more responsive than the others but still no "mode" or "track up" options. It's strange because when I was programming the module for the switch, I kept seeing the light on the device turn on as if they worked when those buttons were pressed.

Been a while since I thought about this, but I'm inclined to think I took my switch apart when troubleshooting.  I was hoping to see some bad connection, but I think something that stood out was the lack cables that I thought would support all the functions.  There weren't many wires if I recall, which got me thinking that the radio might be interpreting drops/resistance from each keypress to determine what key is being pressed.  Not sure how that functions with a universal interface, though.

Been a while since I thought about this, but I'm inclined to think I took my switch apart when troubleshooting.  I was hoping to see some bad connection, but I think something that stood out was the lack cables that I thought would support all the functions.  There weren't many wires if I recall, which got me thinking that the radio might be interpreting drops/resistance from each keypress to determine what key is being pressed.  Not sure how that functions with a universal interface, though.

Do you mean quantity of wires going to the radio? There are only three from the receiver control switch to radio and only one that actually sends a signal from the switch to the receiver control switch.

a38985029f48d6571dc5ece4e84c40f2.jpg

1a762d150a4fe0dcb7490c59907d6d64.jpg

Do you mean quantity of wires going to the radio? There are only three from the receiver control switch to radio and only one that actually sends a signal from the switch to the receiver control

Ack! I’m about to put an aftermarket Pioneer head unit in mine & I bought the switch interface as I’d like to retain that fx too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Ack! I’m about to put an aftermarket Pioneer head unit in mine & I bought the switch interface as I’d like to retain that fx too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

which interface did yoou get?

• 2 weeks later...

So I upgraded my headunit once again (3x now). While all the wiring guts were out I checked on the switch and to my amazement, it worked perfectly. After i put everything back together, it stopped functioning consistently. I’m not sure if there is interference or the switch module has bad contacts going to radio. I’m annoyed with it so I’ll just live with it...for now.