R200A vs R200A...what's the diff?

hawairish

No progress, but it's not forgotten. A few recent projects have had me looking at my stash of front diffs, but the more I think about it, the more complex it gets. I'll have an opportunity in the coming months to pull down a subframe and get some dimensions and perhaps mock stuff up, but not sure what the outcome will be quite yet.

• 6 months later...

I've got a Diesel R50. I've pulled out my front diff and am looking for a locker for it. ARB and other catalogs state from 86-15 that 4cylinder vehicles have an R180. I'm pretty sure i've got it in my head from somewhere that all R50's were R200a. Does anyone know their Pathy diffs? 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Edited by mtnboy
photo taking too much space. Resized

I took the back cover off and was able to count the Ring Gear bolts. Had 10, l was also able to measure the edge and eye up how wide it was which seemed inline with being the R200a (200mm ring). So locker ordered. Going to help pull it through heaps more places.

Had to look them up, but looks like they make the ARB clones that have caused a stir in other off-road forums over here.  Don't think I've read anything bad about them, except from the people who've never used them.  I think we'd love to see a write-up/review of the locker here on NPORA.

Link for others: http://www.marxxon.com/differential/Air-Locker-for-Nissan.html

I can see why you had questions about the axle.  They shouldn't have overlapped the WD21 applications with the R50.  R50 is 29-spline R200A front and 33-spline H233B rear only.

Yeah, ARB does the exact same thing with the crossong of models to applications. TRE4x4.com is TRE new website. It's a little saving going for TRE, paid $656Usd with compressor. I think it was, ARB is close to 1kUSD. 

Happy to give it a go, new topic or do you have a good place you think it should fit? 

I believe it.  When you own an R50, you quickly learn that companies know little about the truck because they've never made anything specifically for it.  In the case of lockers, I guess we're lucky there are other Nissans that we share similar parts with.  Otherwise, we'd probably have no aftermarket support at all.

I'd say a new topic would be best, just to keep everything related to the locker and company in one place.  It'll surely attract some feedback.  Personally, I'm all for an affordable locker, and these clones have been gaining popularity.  Any first-hand experience is welcomed!  While I feel some things about the company are questionable, my opinion has usually been that the company making and selling these is probably the company that's been making them all along (at least for older ARBs).  I mean, I have an old RD107 (superseded by the RD202) and even ARB couldn't confirm it was genuine, but it met their identification criteria.  Either way, it's a 14-year old locker (I've only had it maybe 2 years) and it's still working.

It can be tricky at times, great to have lockers available. Everyone seems to underate us. We need big tread to clear our big diffs and don't have much clearance in the mid section for mud, but we seem to do well on the rocky stuff. You are probably quite right about where thosr ARB lockers come from ? it happens with a lot of big manufactures, they'll make their own and sell them cheaper. So surely you can't say every chineese factory makes bad products, just depends of their materials and how cheap it is. I found this locker was reasonalbly priced and stated it's built with some good metals like chromoly. 

Link the new thread when it starts. TownDawgR50 has convinced me I need a front locker. The Lokka is very enticing because of the price & simplicity, however, I’d like to retain my AWD fx if possible but I didn’t want to spend the >$1200 that the ARB ends up costing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...