2004 Pathfinder SE non-Bose stereo issues

DanF.

Spent the morning trouble-shooting the stereo issues in the wife's rig. I removed the head unit and looked for loose/frayed/torn wires, and didn't find anything wrong, visually. The head unit powers on (when screwed in/grounded to the chassis) and functions normally, except the only sound coming out is from the two A-pillar mounted tweeters. All door speakers are silent.

Next, I pulled off the driver's door panel, and visually inspected the speaker. It looked fine. No tears or dents in the woofer. No torn surround. The woofer moved freely when I pressed on it.

I then removed the speaker ( four screws and a proprietary connector) and used a multimeter to see if there was any voltage making its way to the speaker from the head-unit through the wires. There was, and you could see it rising and falling with the volume of the music, and then drop to zero volts when the head-unit was powered down.

I was assuming that the speaker was "dead", but brought it inside and connected it to a known good input source, my home stereo. Again, nothing... no sound or movement from the door speaker. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that the driver's door speaker is dead. (not sure how...)

Anyway, I just ordered these two front replacement speakers from Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P52/Sound-Ordnance-P-52.html?tp=97

h777p52-f.jpeg

h777p52-b.jpeg

h777p52-i.jpeg

h142SAC656-F.jpg

h120727400-F.jpg

They are the cheapest speakers sold on Crutchfield (their store brand, AFAIK), but they come with the speaker wiring adapters, speaker mounting brackets, and "detailed" instructions for free. It's the next easiest/cheapest way I can think of to test this no-sound issue. Grand total: $36.98

The problem I had was finding accurate info about this issue, especially the non-Bose stereo. Half the online resources said that the speakers were 6.5". Luckily Crutchfield and MTX had accurate vehicle info on their websites.

Anyways, I'll update this post, or start a new one (and link to this one) once they arrive and are installed.

If you're wondering if a dead speaker will cut out all of your door speakers then the answer is yes. I had this same issue with my 04 SE a few years ago. I thought it was the wiring but played with the multi-meter as well. After seeing a speaker showing dead, I decided to change them all. Sure enough, all sound was back and I haven't had a problem since.

If you're wondering if a dead speaker will cut out all of your door speakers then the answer is yes. I had this same issue with my 04 SE a few years ago. I thought it was the wiring but played with the multi-meter as well. After seeing a speaker showing dead, I decided to change them all. Sure enough, all sound was back and I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for chiming in. Do you know if a single bad speaker will disable all four, or just the front? I'm asking because I've only bought two front speakers at this point.

I wonder if simply disconnecting the bad speakers will allow the others to function, or will I have to jump the leads to complete the circuit for each bad speaker's connector?

if all 4 are dead I would look at a head unit or amp issue. The Bose system has a external amp for rear speaker and the head unit power the front two. I don't know how the non-Bose system operates

if all 4 are dead I would look at a head unit or amp issue. The Bose system has a external amp for rear speaker and the head unit power the front two. I don't know how the non-Bose system operates

This model has the base stereo: non-Bose, single CD changer with no amps.

Here is a wiring diagram I found that includes the base and Bose versions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fixurnissan/2012-01-21_034430_1.pdf

qfzmgOvh.jpg

wM7uqX6h.jpg

Edited by DanF.

It say head unit internal amp failure

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Where does it say that? I don't see it in the full .pdf I linked.

If you read my initial post, I tested output voltage from the headunit/stereo/amp (it's all-in-one) and there WAS a signal coming out of the headunit, through the wires, to the speaker. The speaker was/is dead. I hooked it up to my home audio receiver, and it's toast. Not sure what kills a speaker, but that's a moot point.

The front, A-pillar, tweeters produce sound. That also means there is a signal coming from the headunit.

Oh I missed that. I'm sorry. I thought no sound from all speakers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No worries. New speaker pair should be in tomorrow, and I'll see if it rectifies the situation. If so, I'll order another pair for the back doors.

I just went though this entire process on my 04 this past weekend. In a matter of about 4 months, 3 of the 4 main speakers died on me. I ended up with just the tweeters in the front, and one speaker in the back. I replaced all 4 with a set of JBL GTO629's and the harnesses. Sounds great now!

Some suggestions for you:

If the speakers you purchased only come with the plastic trim rings shown, the trim rings probably won't fit. However, you should be able to drill out the mounting holes on the speakers themselves and reuse the stock phillips self tapping screws to mount them in the stock housings.

Take care when removing the window switch housings from the arm rests, but realize it will take a pretty decent amount of pressure to get them to "pop" out.

While you have the door panels off, it would be a good time to lube your window gaskets.

Finally, buy a pair for your back doors now. After you replace the fronts, you're going to want to do the backs!

I just went though this entire process on my 04 this past weekend. In a matter of about 4 months, 3 of the 4 main speakers died on me. I ended up with just the tweeters in the front, and one speaker in the back. I replaced all 4 with a set of JBL GTO629's and the harnesses. Sounds great now!

Some suggestions for you:

If the speakers you purchased only come with the plastic trim rings shown, the trim rings probably won't fit. However, you should be able to drill out the mounting holes on the speakers themselves and reuse the stock phillips self tapping screws to mount them in the stock housings.

Take care when removing the window switch housings from the arm rests, but realize it will take a pretty decent amount of pressure to get them to "pop" out.

While you have the door panels off, it would be a good time to lube your window gaskets.

Finally, buy a pair for your back doors now. After you replace the fronts, you're going to want to do the backs!

Great reply.

I see you bought 6.5" speakers, I was under the impression that the stock size was 5.25". Do you have the Bose system?

I had already removed the door panel, so I understand what you mean by being careful, but firm with the window switch housings.

What would you recommend I use as lube for the window gaskets?

My wife is the one funding the speaker replacement project, and she drives sparingly right now (works from home, so doesn't drive daily), and she isn't a huge audiophile. I think as long as there is some sort of sound playing she'll be happy.

Great reply.

I see you bought 6.5" speakers, I was under the impression that the stock size was 5.25". Do you have the Bose system?

I had already removed the door panel, so I understand what you mean by being careful, but firm with the window switch housings.

What would you recommend I use as lube for the window gaskets?

My wife is the one funding the speaker replacement project, and she drives sparingly right now (works from home, so doesn't drive daily), and she isn't a huge audiophile. I think as long as there is some sort of sound playing she'll be happy.

I have a non-Bose system and the stock speakers are 6.5". However, since you bought everything from Crutchfield, they will automatically provide you with the appropriate adapters for resizing. It may just take a little more trimming and drilling then usual.

As for the window gaskets, the go to lube (as approved by the forum) is silicone spray. Just the standard aerosol can you would buy at your local auto parts store. I just peeled back the moisture barrier sheet and sprayed some in the bottom tracks. Doesn't hurt to do a little preventative maintenance!

Good luck with the upgrade!

I have a non-Bose system and the stock speakers are 6.5". However, since you bought everything from Crutchfield, they will automatically provide you with the appropriate adapters for resizing. It may just take a little more trimming and drilling then usual.

As for the window gaskets, the go to lube (as approved by the forum) is silicone spray. Just the standard aerosol can you would buy at your local auto parts store. I just peeled back the moisture barrier sheet and sprayed some in the bottom tracks. Doesn't hurt to do a little preventative maintenance!

Good luck with the upgrade!

Dang, I wasn't sure what size to get, and Crutchfield's own size guide said the 2004 SE non-Bose system used 5.25" speakers. Well, I'll see how it goes.

Swapped out the dead speakers with new ones, and took a few pictures of the process. On a scale of 1 - 10 this is a .7 as far as difficulty. It rained during the middle of all this, so I didn't take as many pictures as a should have.

Also, I bought the wrong size speakers. I went with the fit guide from Crutchfield and they spec'd 5.25" speakers for a 2004 Pathfinder SE w/non-Bose system. I contacted them, and they have apparently updated the info to the correct 6.5" speaker size.

Either way, the new front speakers work, and now my wife can enjoy her early 90's hip-hop and ****** country music (I get it... subjective tastes and all that) while I order some new speakers for the back doors, which are also dead.

Anyway...

Itumqu7h.jpg

UQDXcNJh.jpg

T3i7LhNh.jpg

w1XS8uhh.jpg

n15ZH1rh.jpg

6XKP01rh.jpg

Hmmm. For my 96 they had the correct info.

I fit 6 3/4" kicker speakers in. But a lot of options in 6.5 and the 6 3/4 all said installs with no issue. On mine I would have been better with 6.5 in the front as the ones I got were slightly big but the 6 3/4 went in the back perfectly.

When she, or I, order rear speakers we'll do 6.5" and when I install them, I'll probably just swap the 5.25" into the rears, and put the 6.5" in the front.