Torsion bar advice (needed)

AKdraws

I would like to replace the torsion bars but what am i looking for? Sway aways' website has tons of sizes, add a torsion leaves, solid, tubular, spring plates and i have no idea what I'm looking at. Im new to the torsion bar life. Could i just replace certain parts and leave the stock bars? Should i just reindex the bars? Should i just replace everything? AHH! I'm lost. I need help my fellow WD21 enthusiasts!

I would start by asking why you feel the need to replace them. Generally people install Sway Away because either they have added significant weight to the front (aftermarket bumper/winch/etc) or they want a firmer ride (unusual). About the only time the stock bars are replaced with stock bars is if one has been damaged. 90% of the time, people reindex the old, stock bars (if necessary) and crank them to the desired height, which also stiffens the ride a bit as well (more pre-load).

So, I recommend you go to the Garage/How To section and read the thread on reindexing the torsion bars, and then ask more questions or decide upon your course of action. :aok:

B

Well the first thing you need to do is step back and take the time to learn about your Pathfinder's suspension design. Once you do you will find that the list of available options is smaller than the ones you mentioned above because some of those items cannot be installed on a WD21 as they are for completely different suspension system designs.

Second, ask your self "why" you feel the need to replace them.

Third, re-index them and see if that resolves your why's. Check the Garage > How-To's section for instructions.

As for sway-a-way, use the tools provided on the website to identify parts that fit your vehicle, they only have one torsion bar model for WD21 Pathfinder's and D21 Hardbody's. If you do not see any tools, then use the full website, not the limited mobile version.

I would start by asking why you feel the need to replace them. Generally people install Sway Away because either they have added significant weight to the front (aftermarket bumper/winch/etc) or they want a firmer ride (unusual). About the only time the stock bars are replaced with stock bars is if one has been damaged. 90% of the time, people reindex the old, stock bars (if necessary) and crank them to the desired height, which also stiffens the ride a bit as well (more pre-load).

So, I recommend you go to the Garage/How To section and read the thread on reindexing the torsion bars, and then ask more questions or decide upon your course of action. :aok:

B

Thanx for the advice. Ill check out the Garage/how to section. The reason why I wanted to replace them is because, I read a post on here that said they will sag over time (as mine did on the passenger side) and my initial thought was just replace everything so its all brand new. But if its better to reindex the bars and find out where im at, then that sounds like the better plan. and cheaper too.

Ill get at it and find out what i need to do! Thanx again

Exactly, they do sag eventually, just like a coil spring gets softer/shorter, but the key difference is that torsion bars are a twist spring so you can just torque them a little more to bring it back. There is a limit, of course, but very few people have gotten there. Why replace something that doesn't need to be? ;)

B

BTW, it is spelled 'thanks'. Just 1 more letter... :tongue:

Exactly, they do sag eventually, just like a coil spring gets softer/shorter, but the key difference is that torsion bars are a twist spring so you can just torque them a little more to bring it back. There is a limit, of course, but very few people have gotten there. Why replace something that doesn't need to be? ;)

B

BTW, it is spelled 'thanks'. Just 1 more letter... :tongue:

Percisely, if i dont need to replace it and just adjust it, thats perfect. Will save me time and money.

haha and "thanks" for telling me. its a habit i developed 2 years ago. idk, i like X's lol i do have one in my name and tatted on my wrist (for Excision)

THANKS again for the help dude. Joining this forum has bee a huge help to further understand my rig.