00 pathfinder temp gauge goes up almost to 3/4

fearkobe

You may not want to hear this but at this point I'd consider putting it in a reputable shop. It sounds like you are now just tossing parts at it, which historically has a very low chance of success. If it isn't leaking coolant, but is loosing it at that rate, it must be going in the combustion chamber. Small amounts may not show up as white smoke yet. The amount you'd pay to have a shop diagnose it will be cheaper than continuing to throw parts at it.

Good Luck, I hope you get it resolved!!

Thermostat will not cause coolant consumption nor heating up only under load. A failing water pump yes, but not coolant consumption. Sorry you wasted money there...

As was said, it needs to stay at a shop for a day and pay the rate for a diagnosis. A good shop will pressure test the system, do a block check, and if it passes that they will stick the 5-gas analyzer in the radiator and it will say exactly how many PPM of exhaust gasses is present in the system.

Rough idle, loss of coolant consistently, and heating up under load are all signs of a failing head gasket.

At this point screw figuring out why it's heating up under load/up hills. The focus needs to be on where the coolant is going. If it's ingesting it, the heads will come off and the head gaskets replaced along with a new timing belt and water pump etc.

It could be it's been overheated and blew a head gasket, yes. However the damage is done. Fixing the overheating issue (if it ends up being unrelated) is, at this point, wasting money.

Thanks for the replies that's what I'm gonna do. I took it to a 76 gas station shop to look at it and they did test the coolant for exhaust or gas and didn't find anything and they also did a pressure test and nothing. I was there when they did it too. It's hard trying to find a good shop. But looks like I'm taking it again back. I'm gonna talk to the guy who looked at it cause this isn't right. I'm losing coolant Constantly.

I was just talking to my brother in law and he said it toOK over 20 mind for the thermostat to open up to get the water flowing. I'm just throwing that out there. I'm still gonna have a shop look at it.thanks again

Don't mind getting the head replaced. I was gonna see either or on head or block I wish I knew which ones cracked rather than paying someone to find out which. Best to put another motor? Said there's oil in the radiator and coolant in the oil. It's up to my sister since it's there car.

That's a lot of mixing for these motors. Personally last time I saw coolant mix with oil it was a cracked head. Best of luck... hopefully a gasket found a way to blow between the two.

• Like 1

I don't mind replacing the head. I hate to have it torn a part and finding out its the block. I'm willing to bet it's the head. Thanks James. Rock auto wants 466 for a new head. If it's the head is it better to replace both?

So right now there's sealer in it for now. I'm changing the oil but what can I do to get most of the milky stuff out. I was thinking draining it refilling it with cheap oil run on it for a week and drain and refill. Any ideas

Ya I know but can't afford to get it done right now and it's just gonna be used locally not going far. I'm aware it may not last long either. But wanna get most of this milky stuff out too. Thanks

I've never had much luck with the sealer products, but maybe you will. I can definitely appreciate not being able to afford an unexpected large repair like that. Do yourself a favor, and start price shopping used engines though. Once the sealant has been put in it and run through it that engine won't be the same. If it works you will gum up the oil passages, if it doesn't you will continue to overheat it. Not what you want to hear I know but that is my thinking...