Living with Broken Manifolds

KevinKernaghan

I drive a '95 Pathfinder 5sp 2WD with 115,000 miles and the broken exhaust manifolds. At low speeds the ticking is highly noticeable, but driveability is still fine. I'm wondering how concerned I should be with this. How heavily will these broken manifolds affect inspection (Texas), engine wear, gas mileage, etc.? I'm in college and I can't devote any money towards the fix unless it quickly gains some urgency. Also, just out of interest, if these manifolds aren't affecting much at all, how long have many of you had them broken?

thanks,

kevin

howdy, another texas boy here! it really doenst affect your truck at all. infact i passed with flying colors on the dyno inspection. ive had my broken since i bought the truck with 101k miles and now im at 119k.

howdy, i'm in california so i wouldn't know the laws or regulations there in texas, those guys probably answered your question about that. I have my broken studs snice i could remember. i had em when i frist got the path back in high school which was 4-5 years ago. no problem except for the ticking when i first start her up in the cold when it's warm it's fine. don't worry you have a good dependable rig. ;)

:wacko: I am in California, and I am one of the psycho's who just (I mean..drove the Pathy for the first time today inna month) did the manifold job.

I have a 4 door 5 speed...and the bolts were a BIATCH. I had 3 broken studs....but the way she ran today..was worth the headaches! I have sweet Thorley headers on her..and lot's of new goodies. But it was a HUGE pain in teh a$$....if you have time...

She runs a LOT better now..and is quiet and smooth...and it gave me a good excuse to get the Thorleys! ehhehe sssh sly

I've just bought the gaskets and the revised studs are coming (will be here in a week, the dealer didn't have it here). I expect to be replacing the studs next week.

I thought I would have a little better gas mileage after fixing it... So it isn't possible?

I think it's just something you have to deal with if you own a Nissan!

Mine has done that for years now. It just ticks for about 60 seconds and then goes away after it warms up. It has ALWAYS passed emissions too.

post-6-1109725357.jpg

Guest ksakella

I think it would be a good idea to plan and do the fix. Exhaust leaks that close to the head can eventually start creating some valve problems. I've got a set of Thorley headers on my 92 pathy I put on my self. It got rid of the ticking and added some power.

Wasn't the easiest project because I had two broken studs (coulda been worse!), but well worth the effort!

Definately a Nissan problem. My grandmother has a 90 Maxima with this issue and probably 50K miles on that at least, cause she is cruising toward 200K now. I drove on it for the better part of a year with no issues.

For you guys that have done new headers I have 3 questions.

What kind of time would this project take for the novice mechanic?

Any kind of unusual/unexpected problems?

How much interference, what had to come off to get in there?

1. At least a full weekend, depending on what tools you have on hand.

2. Broken-off studs are a REAL PITA to remove in the first place. Rusted-together heat shield bolts/nuts are also a problem.

3. It's a REAL tight fit if you don't have a body lift...remove the gap guards under the fenderwells and the tires for better access, use a pressure washer to get everything clean first. Douse each bolt in PB Blaster or penetrating oil before attempting to remove anything.

For you guys that have done new headers I have 3 questions.

What kind of time would this project take for the novice mechanic?

Any kind of unusual/unexpected problems?

How much interference, what had to come off to get in there?

I don't know if you have a manual or auto, but I just completed the job on my '92 5 speed Pathy. I am a complete Nissan novice....

It took about 2 weeks (few hrs a day..leave to buy parts..etc). I took the motor out completely, and there was no way I would have got the job done if I hadn't.

One stud (out of the 3 broken) didn't want to come out 100%, (the other 2 were a REAL PITA) so we drilled it out to 3/8, and I put a 3/8 stud in there. I got the other studs from Nissan.

I replaced all my belts, and h2o pump, clutch, cleaned the whole motor and added an oil filter relocation kit. I installed the Thorley headers.

I gained 4-5mpg out of my job, as the rear main seal was leaking, and spewing oil all over my clutch...so it was slipping all the time.

I did a lot of other things to my motor too.... I have lots of pictures if you need any.

The idiot proof way I did my removal was to get a bunch of different colored sticky labels, and everything I disconnected, both ends got labelled, such as a rad hose..one end got a pink sticker, with say..X1, X2, X3 etc..and the end I took it from got the same sticker color and number. it was sooooo much eaier when it came time to put everything back together.... and I had no loose or unidentified wires or plugs.

If you need pics..let me know...

Good luck!!!!!!! WAVEY

I've just got the revised sutds from the dealer today. I'm gonna be replacing the old studs next week.

So now I have the exhaust manifold gaskets, and the revised studs. Do you guys think there's anything else that should be good to buy before starting?

• 2 weeks later...

I got the passenger side exhaust manifold studs replaced on Thursday. :D

Left the car at the mechanics at 9:30 AM, got it running home again at 7:00 PM. They took 4 hours to replace it. Just one of them was broken, the "upper-rear-most" (sorry :rolleyes: ). just waiting for a guy to hold it with a wrench to break. But it wasn't broken too much inside, so it was easy to weld a nut and take it off.

Next week I'll do the driver's side, but I guess the studs are better, just difficult to get to them. ;)

Only problems with replacing the studs and not adding headers... the buggers will break again eventually. The headers alieviate the problem, as well as allowing your motor to breath easier, thus allowing a gain of Hp and a bit better gas mileage. Now that I have been driving my Pathy for 3 weeks, I have been keeping tabs on my gas.. I am gettin 16mph as opposed to the 8-11 I WAS getting... but, again, it's all about the $$$ and time.....which are now 2 things I don't have..LOL

mmm.. bummer on the cost! I paid $340 for the chrome nickle plated Thorley's.... that's a big hike in price for canada.. know anyone near the border who could have them shipped in the US and then you get them???? sssh