One owner 2004 XE- reliable?

cfclay

Greetings group- newbie here wondering about the reliability of the 2004 Pathfinder. I've got a chance to buy a 2004 from a family member and I was already to go and I just took a quick read in a Consumer Reports and found that this is actually one of the models they DONT recommend.

Now I know there are some Cons. Rep's haters out there- but the data is from owners.

Any clue as to why they are down on this model of pathfinders? I usually buy Toyota and Hondas and drive them forever- but I have driven many domestic fleet vehicles that they don't recommend. Seems like if you take care of a car, even the worst cars will hold up without too much discomfort.

Any knowledge of known problems with this vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Future reference, ignore tappytalk error messages, I've removed the multiple of repeats (and the seperatly named thread with the same content) :aok:

R50 patffinders have their quirks like any other vechile on the road (check through the pinned stuff in the r50 section). But if you talk to the people on here who actually own them and have driven them for years you will hear minimal on the negative side :aok:

For what reasons do they not recommend the 04 XE? it's basically the same as the previous years and the final year changes didn't effect the base model only the high end, optioned out models.

The pathfinders only got better as the years went on, the VQ'S have proved over and over again that they are reliable, there are one or two little things to do to insure that it keeps being reliable, but as nunya has said, it's pretty well covered in the pined section.

But what are your main concerns with buying it? How many miles are on it? What's the service history? Do you think it's a fair buy?

-Kyle

If you are buying from a family member then you should either know pretty much about how reliable this one aas been (often a direct result of how well it was taken care of... not just "said" it was taken care of) or you likely know people who can fill in the gaps for you.

Another note about it is that it must not have been much of a problem, if any, since they have kept it for 11-12yrs, assuming it was purchased in late '03 or '04.

• Like 1

I'm on my second 1995 WD21, we have a 1999.0 R50, a friend bought a 2002 R50 (second year of the VQ motor, virtually identical to the 2004) on my recommendation and loves it, and we are considering selling our 1999.0 R50 and buying a 2003 or 2004 R50. Great vehicles; if that is the type of thing you are looking for, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or own one myself.

It only comes down to specific vehicle factors, like how many miles, is there any rust, did the PO maintain it, any big repairs needed, etc.

B

I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports. Here on this forum, myself included, we have members who've taken VQ equipped pathfinders on very long road trips and expeditions both on and off road without major problems. I drove my pathfinder on an 8,000 mile road trip to Florida and back without a single problem both on road and off road, at high elevation, and in temps above 100* virtually the entire time, all the while loaded up with gear and over 100k on the odo. I trust these trucks immensely. An 04 XE should be simple enough options-wise that it should all still work, and will make a great rig to build up.

Since it's from a family member, if they have the service records, or are fastidious about changing the fluids etc. then it should be an extremely reliable car for you. Drive it and see if you like it.