Starter grinding issues on Engine swap

Grenade

Im currently in the last stages of bolting my 89' 300zx engine into my 1992 pathfinder.

I have come to a small snag, in the starter area. I am unsure of what to do. The starter that came off the original vg30 (92 pathfinder) was in need of a new solenoid. So, I picked up a new one and put it on. The starter tests find, and will turn the motor over, but it does not make a good sound. The bendix gear seems to be grinding / chattering on the flywheel. It is only on the "end" of the part of the gear that comes into contact with the flywheel.

I am using the starter mount plate from the original vg30 engine, and all seems to be in alignment. The plate is held onto the engine by the block, and then the bolts go through the belhousing of the transmission into the starter pulling it into the plate.

When I pulled the starter off I did notice some shavings from the bendix gear. I checked the flywheel, and it seems straight and the bracket does not seem bent at all. It currently is sitting flush with the transmission belhousing. The engine (long block) is from a 1989 300ZX so I am wondering if any issue my be related to this?

Anyone have any inclination on this? TIA

My first question is have you checked to see the contact points of the bendix to the ring gear? That would be the first place I would look. Even if the starters look the same or are supposedly the same. Start with the easy stuff first.

I was not really able to check this because the engine is in the truck now and its near impossible. I took a gamble and installed a new starter and all works as it should.... But I can not get the engine to run. It will turn over just fine but will not run. I have spark, compression and fuel. Timing is dead on from everything I can see. I'm stumped.