2003 pathfinder... Brake issues...maybe.

indyqx4

Hey guys, I have a 2003 pathfinder SE. Just turned 125k. I have only owned it since 118k. Truck is in great shape cosmetically, but have had to deal with a few things since owning it. Most I would consider basic maintenance. Now for the issue....

Had a ton of brake vibration shortly after acquiring the pathfinder. Took to local mechanic to have brakes done. This helped a ton, but about 2k miles i started getting vibrations again. They went back through and replaced the rotors again under warrantee which was awesome... Felt a tad better until yesterday I went on a 4hr road trip and at highway speeds (really above 50) when braking I get terrible vibrations.. A lot of steering wheel, and some pedal. mechanics is standing by his work.. And says the brakes are fine.. But he also doesn't seem to willing to look further into the issue. I plan to get another opinion, but figured I would see what pathfinder guys have have come across.

I'm starting to think wore out suspension components.. Really hate to just start dumping money everywhere..

Any input would be great. Thanks! 41a80d2aaa7e1bcfe871ec30c55ac68f.jpg

It's only when applying the brake pedal, right?

Then it's really got to be the rotors.

Even if you have had new rotors over and over, you still have to check the rotors.

If that mechanic won't look again, take it some place new and ask them to check the rotors for runout.

If they find runout, then your rotors are warped.

There are perhaps 3 things that could cause new rotors to be warped like this so soon.

1) cheap, inferior rotors

2) in some cases jacking on the lug nuts with far too much torque

3) extreme heat buildup, due to dragging brake pads

If there is a little bit of runout, but it's basically within reasonable tolerances, then your calipers may not be floating on their pins properly and that function should be checked and fixed.

Thanks.. I plan to take it elsewhere.

It does.. Have a little vibration at highway speeds, I think are the tires. Also a slight loose feeling under the front.. Over bumps.

Alright, then you have some other play in the front end and even a little brake rotor runout can be magnified by that play. The tires themselves could cause vibration at speed, but would not contribute to the braking vibration you feel in the pedal. The looseness over bumps wouldn't be due to tires and might be something that can cause the extra disruption you feel braking.

Check the steering. Tie rods and the steering rack's bushings. Your steering rack may be able to move back and forth due to bad bushings. Any play or slop in the steering can result in changing toe, bump steer, and side-to-side oscillations. You would feel this in the steering wheel

Also have the wheel bearings checked. If these are bad you could feel that through the steering wheel as well as the brake pedal.

Those are the things that could be introducing vibrations that can be magnified while braking. (as could the rotors of course)

Thanks, I was thinking rotors as well, but before I got mad at the shop that did them, I figured I would see if anything else could be causing this.

Thanks and open to any and all suggestion.. Been dealing with this and the shop for a few months now. Needless to say it's getting old haha

For safe measure, I'd take a torque wrench to every bolt down on the struts, ball joints, and LCAs points.

But I have to side with the shop a little on this one. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for a moment that they were installed correctly...they replaced the rotors under warranty, which is great, but I'd like to think that they would've looked into the issue a little further instead. They'd know pretty quickly if there was a problem after 2K miles...and I'd like to think they'd do it to cover their arses. They probably saw nothing, but replaced them for customer satisfaction. If they can't find a problem twice, I don't blame them for not wanting to do it a third time. The odds of getting two bad sets of rotors and/or faulty installation? I think your problem is elsewhere, unforunately.

Braking vibrations can be felt with even new brakes. Worn suspension bushings, unbalanced tires, tire toe-in/out (misaligned or bent TREs), loose steering rack, bad brake bias, air in the brakes, ABS faults...all potential contributors. I even clean off the magnetic ABS sensor tips on each hub just to make sure the signal is as clean as can be.

Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration subsides?

Had the same issues, and my big tires did me no favors. I changed my wheel bearings, inner, outer and new races. And both of my tie rods. All around the same time of doing my brakes. No more wobble at speed and little to know brake vibration.

Changing the wheel bearings and brakes should help the brake pedal vibration and changing the tie rods should solve the steering vibration, atleast it did for me.

Jack up your car and grab your front wheels at 12 and 6, if you get play, you got bad bearings (should have little to no play). Grab at 9 and 3, if you get play beyond the rack movement, look into the tie rods.

Sorry for the quick response, I'm at work.

-Kyle

I agree with all above. I haven't had troubles with the shop, I actually have been more than satisfied with their help. I asked them to look into suspension, tie rods etc.. And they just said "all was good" I don't think they looked into it. I normally would tackle this on my own, but work and time has not let me.. I do think it's something tie rod/suspension related. I will prob seek another shop to have them look into that and the bearings.

Thanks for all the input, and I am always all ears to suggestions .

Uneven torque on the lug nuts can warp new rotors as well. So can poor quality pads and sticking calipers. If the tech didn't get the bearings tight enough when he replaced the rotors that can be an issue.