high rev problem

Hey new to the forum, i have a 1992 TD27 terrano automatic and once the cars warmed up if i accelerate hard or up a hill from a stop it doesn't pick up speed just sits at around 20kph and revs at around 3000rpm. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Hi aussieterrano,

I've found that that's normal for the TD27/auto combo, easing off the gas usually makes it slip into next gear and gives a bit more acceleration but dont expect much out of a 23 year old engine with under 100hp

When was the last time you drained and refilled the trans fluid? What colour is it?

My TD27 trans is fine, it's strong and doesn't slip gears even if it's going uphill. Are you using the right trans fluid? I use Castrol Dexron III it's the one for Asian vehicles it says on the front of the container. Hopefully yours has a drain nut on the trans pan like mine. I'd start by changing the trans fluid. You will probably have to do it a couple of times because the torque converter holds a couple of litres which will not intially drain out. So you'll have to either do a fluid flush by taking off the trans cooler hose and put that into a bucket, start up the engine and watch the fluid get pumped out. Then when it starts spluttering fluid, stop the engine. Then basically refill the trans with fresh fluid. You'll need about 6 or 7 litres from memory, I just bought two containers to be safe. Refill trans with 4 litres, then start engine and fill the rest up check the dipstick every now and then so you don't overdo it.

Edited by Terranovation