Brake Lights Issues...

ebayfish

I'Be been driving my *new* '92 some lately. The other day when I started it, the "anti-lock" light came on the dash. I turned the ignition off & then back on.....no more warning light. Tonight, several days & starts later, the same warning light came home. I drove it with the with the light on for about 20 min. After I got home, when I shut the car off, turned off headlights, etc., I stepped out to notice the brake lights still on. I pulled fuses to find its the stop lights, not tail lights. Is it safe to assume its a pressure sensor going bad/gummed up at the petal or are there any other common electrical gremlins that are common to do things such as that?

Check the brake light switch for the pedal, I remember reading that the bung on the end of the switch breaks off and you end up with the brake lights staying on. I don't remember an issue with the ABS light with that, though, that could mean something different.

• Like 1

My ABS light was doing that, I checked the fluid and although it wasn't "low" it wasn't full either. Filled it up and it hasn't happened since.

That's what my 98 Frontier would do. Light came on, topped it off, light went off. I thought I had read that was normal in the FSM, but it's been a while.

Check the brake light switch for the pedal,

Based on my own experience, this is really where you need to start. It was discussed a couple years ago here:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/36370-help-rear-brake-light-stuck-on-abs-dash-light-also-on

And here's a great pic of what they look like:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/38266-94-se-4x4-pathfinder-cruise-control-help/?p=724149

The rubber bumpers are something like $3 from a dealer. If your rig has cruise control, replace that one at the same time - same part number for both.

(There's also a thread somewhere that I couldn't find where a member replaced the rubber bumper with a bolt and nut, so it wouldn't wear out.)

Edited by xterra

My ABS light was doing that, I checked the fluid and although it wasn't "low" it wasn't full either. Filled it up and it hasn't happened since.

The only reasons for brake fluid to be low in the reservoir is either a leak or your pads/shoes are almost worn out. The fluid level is designed to be reflective of the lining material. Brake fluid should never be topped off without checking to make sure the rest of the system is in good shape. Also now that the reservoir is full, when you go to compress the caliper pistons for new pads it'll make a mess unless the fluid is sucked out.

unless you pinch off the flex hose and push the old fluid out the bleeder (which I haven't seen done since high school :lol: )

As stated, check your brake light switch, xterra linked you good :aok:

The only reasons for brake fluid to be low in the reservoir is either a leak or your pads/shoes are almost worn out. The fluid level is designed to be reflective of the lining material. Brake fluid should never be topped off without checking to make sure the rest of the system is in good shape. Also now that the reservoir is full, when you go to compress the caliper pistons for new pads it'll make a mess unless the fluid is sucked out.

Unless of course you get T-boned my some old lady that should not be driving, bend the axle and have to tear the rear end apart to replace. Didn't lose that much fluid but it was enough I guess to set off the ABS light. Maintenance 101, isn't it? Missing fluid has to go somewhere.....

Guess I need to learn to use the quote function though....

Edited by SkiBumBrian

• 1 year later...

Unless of course you get T-boned my some old lady that should not be driving, bend the axle and have to tear the rear end apart to replace. Didn't lose that much fluid but it was enough I guess to set off the ABS light. Maintenance 101, isn't it? Missing fluid has to go somewhere.....

Guess I need to learn to use the quote function though....

Yes, unless of course one thing that doesn't have to do with the general operation of the system happens, should you top off the fluid. Christ, we all got a story where the cosmo aligns and we need to do something against the norm.

Turned out to be a stuck float valve in my brake fluid reservoir. Just unstick it and fixed. Worth a look!

Who are you and what relevance was this? Your issue was not related to OP and did not merit a zombie thread bump. OP only said ABS light came on which is stupidly common on these trucks (diff speed sensor anyone?). If the fluid is low or your float happens to be stuck the BRAKE light illuminates as well.