Turn Signal Headlight Cruise Control Switch

William

Hi Guys,

I need to change my "Turn Signal Headlight Cruise Control Switch" and I am puzzled between 2 ebay offerings:

- Genuine OEM Nissam Part that is USED from a salvaged/wreck WD21 that is rated as GOOD USED WORKING but most likely with no guarantee/warranty.

versus:

- An AFTER MARKET part that is BRAND NEW (most likely from China or Korea) that comes with a limited 2-years warranty.

Both at the same price.

What do guys think? Help me decide :)

William

I don't know of anyone having used the aftermarket ones, I personally bought mine from a dealer. What's the going price on them?

Since both are ebay, it's your money so what are you most comfortable with? Either way, a potentially cheaply made part from china or a used (possibly OEM) one that could have more usage than your current one.

I suggest that in addition to replacing the switch you consider relay'ing your headlights to eliminate this issue in the future and give better overall performance in the way of light output. You can find info regarding both in The Garage > How-To's > Headlights Performing Poorly

I just replaced mine a few months back and I don't remember the cost but I do remember it seemed amazingly cheap for an OEM product. I recall a thread somewhere too that mentions just cleaning and tweaking the contacts....

• Like 1

Like Red, I bought my replacement from the dealer when my dash lights intermittently stopped working. It was somewhere right around $55, IIRC.

I just replaced mine a few months back and I don't remember the cost but I do remember it seemed amazingly cheap for an OEM product. I recall a thread somewhere too that mentions just cleaning and tweaking the contacts....

yeah even the originals are not that great. The thread above talks about cleaning and tweaking as does the Common problems thread in the new members section. I did that a couple of times, but in all honesty that is a temp solution that may extend the life of an old switch a little, but not permanently solve the problem and eventually replacement becomes necessary.

The best solution is to install the relays to move main power off or the swtich.

• Like 1

I had the wife's '93 headlight go out on us during a road trip last year. The bulb was good, the fuse was good the power just wasn't there.

• I pulled the switch out and popped the translucent white plastic cover off (you'll see all the copper leads running under it.
  • Using some sand paper(I recommend 320-400 grit but didn't have any on the road) folded in half so both sides are rough I slid it under each lead pinched it down gently with my finger and pulled the sandpaper out. I did this a few times for each lead.
  • I then carefully inspected the leads in each switch position to see if they were making good contact. (when they get dirty they heat up more under use and can bend away from the contact.)
  • Using a small screwdriver as a fulcrum point I carefully bent one warped lead back down and left the others alone. Her lights have been great ever since.

Still have not gotten around to putting relays on hers.

Edited by MY1PATH

I cleaned the switch in my '95 a few years ago with fine sandpaper, bent the contacts a little, and buttoned it back up. It's a little fiddly to do but honestly the worst part of the job for me was that stupid buzzer blaring right next to my head as I tested and adjusted the contacts. (Funny story, that truck no longer has a buzzer.) It's given me no trouble since I had it apart, though to be fair, I built a relay harness shortly after fixing the switch.

In fact the only headlight Issue I've had since then was the in-line fuse holder for the relay harness melting itself one night. Don't use the crap plastic fuse holders that take glass fuses. I've had two of those melt on me and switched to the rubber ones that take blade fuses.

I remember one of my high beams wouldn't work and would just switch off the headlight completely so I used the sandpaper trick and cleaned the contacts inside the switch. I can't believe how simple it was. Just a couple of screws, undo the steering column cover. 15 mins later both high beams working again thanks to this forum!