custom bushings help?

Kurruppt

guys i pickup this hard rubber sheet about 1 1/8 thick. it was free. i really have no use for that i can think of right now besides making bushings. the question is the strut rod bushings are about 1/16 longer (moog brand) would there be any hurt if i use that rubber?

CAM00016_zpsse4dq7bj.jpg

CAM00017_zpszfsoexjd.jpg

CAM00015_zpsq3apo687.jpg

I'm not telling you to use the rubber you have. The 1/16" longer shouldn't matter. There should be plenty of threads in the strut rod to compensate for the extra length.

Honestly, I would buy poly bushings for that spot. They see a lot of road grime and get worked really hard. The poly shouldn't wear out. It shouldn't let the wheel move around much, if at all.

I agree with RF600, that really is a bushing that sees a lot of abuse, but... since you have the material already, I'd give it a try. The Nissan factory bushing is simply rubber as well, but I have no idea what grade or the properties the two would have.

I'd say if you want to go cheap, experiment and keep an eye on it, try the rubber. If you only want to do it once (for a while anyway) just go with the poly. The stock rubber doesn't hold up that well IMO.

B