2005 Nissan Pathfinder - new oil pump but low oil pressure signal can't go away

I own a 2005 4 liter Nissan Pathfinder which recently displayed a flashing low oil pressure signal. The mechanic replaced the oil pump but the signal continued to flash. The signal is preceded by a rattling sound from the engine. What could be the problem and the solution?

RabanC

Edited by RabanC

Rattling noise and oil pressure light means, well, low oil pressure. If the pump is good, it either isn't getting oil (clogged or leaky pickup, oil level too low) or the bearings the oil is pumped to are worn oversize to the point where they're not holding oil. Did you drive it much with the oil pressure light on?

Is the issue at idle? Does the oil pressure increase off idle? If that is the case it is possible that the vtc passage plates have lost part if the gaskets. Usually will set codes P0011 and P0021. And turn on the MIL.

Worn cam, main, and rod bearings will cause the same symptom.

If it's all the time then you have serious problems. Thats when you need to look at the oil pickup.

Also feedback on what you end up finding the cause to be will help others searching the forum looking for help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Rattling noise and oil pressure light means, well, low oil pressure. If the pump is good, it either isn't getting oil (clogged or leaky pickup, oil level too low) or the bearings the oil is pumped to are worn oversize to the point where they're not holding oil. Did you drive it much with the oil pressure light on?

Not at all, we stopped the car as soon as the light came on and switched off the engine. When engine was restarted, oil pressure light went off and were able to drive car back to park in home garage about a kilometer away.

Is the issue at idle? Does the oil pressure increase off idle? If that is the case it is possible that the vtc passage plates have lost part if the gaskets. Usually will set codes P0011 and P0021. And turn on the MIL.

Worn cam, main, and rod bearings will cause the same symptom.

If it's all the time then you have serious problems. Thats when you need to look at the oil pickup.

Also feedback on what you end up finding the cause to be will help others searching the forum looking for help.

It comes on at idle and off idle. When engine is turned on, oil pressure light goes off for a while until rattling sound comes up.

Oil is typically thicker when cold, thicker oil results in higher oil pressure. If you have low pressure and noise even when off idle then that is not a good sign. And an indication of a major lack of oil changes, that engine it's really resilient to going over the recommended service schedule. However I have seen a couple random bearing failures over the years. Unfortunately it would be best to take it to a pro for further diag.

Oil is typically thicker when cold, thicker oil results in higher oil pressure. If you have low pressure and noise even when off idle then that is not a good sign. And an indication of a major lack of oil changes, that engine it's really resilient to going over the recommended service schedule. However I have seen a couple random bearing failures over the years. Unfortunately it would be best to take it to a pro for further diag.

Many thanks for the kind advice. Will pass information to mechanic.