Ticking sound

hagge

Hi!

I have two ticking noices comming from my engine, a v6 3.0 1994.

I know there is a lot to read here regarding this, but i cant find the specific answers im looking for.

Maybe it's because i'm swedish and my tech english is not the best.

Firtst ticking noice sounds like the hydrualic lifters, it comes and goes when warming up, but then goes away when engine is warm. I'm running on 10W-40 oil.

Is there any reason to be worried?

The second ticking noice i think comes from the exhaust manifolds or leaking exhaust pipes.

I first had a cold start ticking noice that went away when warming up, i thought it was a broken stud, but when checking them, all studs where ok, but wery loose.

I thightened them all down a bit and the cold start ticking sound went away, but it is still there when accellerating.

I found a small exhaust leak at the Y-pipe that i fixed, but the annoying ticking noice is still there when accelerating.

I have looked through the exhaust system and found no more leaks.

Could it be the manifold gaskets that needs to be changed?

initial ticking that goes away once you get good oil pressure is a collapsed lifter. Usually goes away within 15 seconds or so of starting the truck.

Ticking that goes away once warm is either a bad lifter (clogged or restricted) that solves once the oil is more viscous. The pathy should be on 5W-30 but 10W-40 is probably fine too.

Ticking at the manifold could be a bad gasket, loose/broken stud, or a cracked manifold.

One good way to chase it down is to use a length of tubing (1/2 inch by a few feet), stick one end in your ear and probe around with the other end to see exactly where the exhaust tick is coming from. You may also be able to see carbon buildup at the point of the leak.

a loud tick from inside the valve cover that does not go away or cycles in and out (but never goes away) is a bad lifter. I have one in my drivers side (hard to get into) head and fix it with the radio volume knob. I'm sure it's not good for the rockers or cams but I've had more important things to fix.

the tick on acceleration may be due to your timing being a little off. pre-ignition can cause a similar noise and changes with vacuum advance during accelleration