R50 Tire Carrier Mod: Let's settle this!

hawairish

For anyone whose geeking out on this tire carrier, me and [mention=41155]Astrorami[/mention] just figured out this might be the rarest OEM part for pathfinders

The one in this picture is a manual as well... man would that be a car to have
  • Like 1

Something that @Astrorami noticed is that the newer carrier is also aluminum, instead of steel on the older ones.  It's also slightly different than the Terrano version, which was a little shorter and didn't center the tire on the liftgate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something that [mention=41155]Astrorami[/mention] noticed is that the newer carrier is also aluminum, instead of steel on the older ones.  It's also slightly different than the Terrano version, which was a little shorter and didn't center the tire on the liftgate.

Has there been thought about getting a tire carrier and “replicating” it?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:04 AM, joshrichard said:

Has there been thought about getting a tire carrier and “replicating” it?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:48 AM, RainGoat said:

Probably not when you can buy them at a JY for less than $20

What RainGoat said.  They can be had for pretty cheap, but replicating would be a pretty tall task anyway.  However, if we get around to producing some bumpers, we'll definitely be exploring carrier options.

• Like 4

A guy on my route HAD a 2000 with the carrier, I told him several times over the last few years, to let me know if he's ever looking to get rid of it. A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't seen it in a while. The next time I saw him, I asked about it. He bought a new expedition and took $500 for trade-in!! The real KITA when I inquired with the dealership he dealt with, THEY SCRAPPED IT because it had "some rust"!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, 01Pathmaker said:

A guy on my route HAD a 2000 with the carrier, I told him several times over the last few years, to let me know if he's ever looking to get rid of it. A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't seen it in a while. The next time I saw him, I asked about it. He bought a new expedition and took $500 for trade-in!! The real KITA when I inquired with the dealership he dealt with, THEY SCRAPPED IT because it had "some rust"!!

That is incredibly disappointing 

3 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

That is incredibly disappointing 

Incredibly! Lol. I wanted it strictly for parts and told the guy at the dealership I'd have given him the $500 back in a heartbeat, he said "leave me your number, I'll call you if I get another", I told him "you won't", and left. Lol

• Like 1

Just now, 01Pathmaker said:

Incredibly! Lol. I wanted it strictly for parts and told the guy at the dealership I'd have given him the $500 back in a heartbeat, he said "leave me your number, I'll call you if I get another", I told him "you won't", and left. Lol

There is a pathfinder currently for sale locally with the carrier. The guy wants $4000 and its missing rear bumper cover and front bnumper cover isn't painted. He said he's babied the car. ?

That is heart rendering!

For the PNW Pathfinders, yesterday started as the Silver Pathfinder Emporium & developed into a full on SwinGateFest 2019. Thanks to @02_Pathy &[mention=39745]stpickens[/mention] and his Dad for coming up from Portland. Also, thanks to[mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention] for just stopping by to hang out. Most of all, thanks to[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] for providing the venue, expertise, product development, hard work and good cheer! It really couldn’t have happened without him.

29b5e97ab2179412f6b827a2d90ee278.jpg

13079146fe7661ba36d3100f5ee0d1a1.jpg

b75662bc438295fad33a44eddebc8626.jpg

ddf3ce9815de4d2ad2fb5f605aaeebe4.jpg

1fc5b2ae74a11de62038f167e896a810.jpg

f74eb652d09c8805f99b9e0b5828801c.jpg

• Like 8

This is making me real excited to get my carrier bolted up. I like this template you guys used for drilling. Was it only for drilling or was it kept to add support?

2 minutes ago, Astrorami said:

This is making me real excited to get my carrier bolted up. I like this template you guys used for drilling. Was it only for drilling or was it kept to add support?

The aluminium was mainly used for added support as the sheet metal underneath is not the most rigid. The bumper outline cut out holes were used as the template to drill. 

• Like 1

@hawairish suggested it after his retro fit carrier started bending the sheet metal a little under the hatch.@TowndawgR50 designed it & cut it with his CNC. I think it is going on their potential R50 aftermarket product menu.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:34 PM, Astrorami said:

$4000 with 218,xxx miles ?

What is this, a 4runner?  Oh wait, a 20 year old 200k mile 4runner would cost double that.  Silly me.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:15 PM, Astrorami said:

There is a pathfinder currently for sale locally with the carrier. The guy wants $4000 and its missing rear bumper cover and front bnumper cover isn't painted. He said he's babied the car. ?

Haha he needs a reality check.  My bumpers-included rust-free california-car '02 cost that much.  Crazy how cheap these things are compared to toyotas.

Good stuff @RainGoat.  Say would you happen to know if it's possible for me to install the carrier-open switch after the fact?  When I installed my carrier I didn't try installing the switch along with it.  Is it possible to drill the hole and fish out the harness (assuming it's there) without removing the angle-aluminum support that is riveted to the sheet metal?

Haha he needs a reality check.  My bumpers-included rust-free california-car '02 cost that much.  Crazy how cheap these things are compared to toyotas.

Yeah crazy asking price. If anyone is curious about what $4k will get you, here is the car in question. I inquired about it and it only took a week to detail
6671af6d054b202a1778f01ae500f282.jpg
0216010315da61981649dc361e497420.jpg
2eb8d698f0b73acd0ea650ecdfb8b2fe.jpg
9c3aad5baa21229c0a1d43898b345658.jpg
15eb6280076b79d44025c54cf9201c42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jjonez said:

Is it possible to drill the hole and fish out the harness (assuming it's there) without removing the angle-aluminum support that is riveted to the sheet metal? 

Yes. It should be there. Havent seen one without the pre-terminated pigtail yet but there could be a possibility that some weren't equipped.

Pop the lower cover off the hatch area to check. There will be a firewall style rubber boot with the pigtail for the sensor just off center under that cover. Just be sure to pull the harness out of the cavity first to avoid damaging it when punching through with the drill. 

The sensor location was drilled after the plate was installed on the rigs pictured so you should be ok. 

A47pGSy.jpg

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Yes. It should be there. Havent seen one without the pre-terminated pigtail yet but there could be a possibility that some weren't equipped.

Pop the lower cover off the hatch area to check. There will be a firewall style rubber boot with the pigtail for the sensor just off center under that cover. Just be sure to pull the harness out of the cavity first to avoid damaging it when punching through with the drill. 

The sensor location was drilled after the plate was installed on the rigs pictured so you should be ok. 

A47pGSy.jpg

Nice, thank you!  If I had know it was that easy I would have done it from the start.  Looks like I could even get away with not taking the bumper cover off.  Does it require an additional screw to ground the switch/hold it in place?

Edited by jjonez