Need help with my path (3 distributors)

Hi

Im located in california San jose area. I got a 99 pathfinder that belong to my late father. The truck body is in good shape but I have a problem. I've had to replace the distributor 3 times already. A friend of mine told me that the camshaft gear my be busted or loose. Is there a way to verify that? I want to keep it because of my dad as it brings me back memories.

Thank you in advance

If a repair shop was paid to replace the distributor, most shops offer a 12-month, 12,000 mile warranty. If you did the work yourself, and the distributor was faulty, the retailer who sold you the distributor often provides a "lifetime" warranty for the part.

Why did the distributor have to be replaced three times, and what was the frequency of replacement? Who did the work?

What was the nature of the failure for each one? If you found that the gear on the bottom of the distributor was oddly worn or broken each time, then I would agree that something is amiss with the camshaft gear. If the distributor gear was in good shape after each time the distributor was replaced, and other components of the distributor were malfunctioning, then I would not suspect the camshaft gear.

Edited by XPLORx4

If a repair shop was paid to replace the distributor, most shops offer a 12-month, 12,000 mile warranty. If you did the work yourself, and the distributor was faulty, the retailer who sold you the distributor often provides a "lifetime" warranty for the part.

Why did the distributor have to be replaced three times, and what was the frequency of replacement? Who did the work?

What was the nature of the failure for each one? If you found that the gear on the bottom of the distributor was oddly worn or broken each time, then I would agree that something is amiss with the camshaft gear. If the distributor gear was in good shape after each time the distributor was replaced, and other components of the distributor were malfunctioning, then I would not suspect the camshaft gear.

Thanks for the reply.

The first Distri was done by me and my brother. the second and third one by a shop. it runs fine for about 5 miles then it suddenly just dies.

The first one was the bearing, second one was the electrical parts inside(that's what the shop told me) and the third one was the bearing(shop told me). I don't get why the bearing would go bad all of the sudden. They've installed another Hitachi distributor yesterday.

I have known several friends and customers who have gone through many aftermarket distributors just like you are doing before getting a good one. So many of those aftermarket brands are not built or rebuilt very well. Not saying this is your exact issue but it would not surprise me either.

Out of curiosity what brand is it and where did you get them?

Edited by Alkorahil