92 pathfinder issue

Slimshade1

I'm having a issue with my pathy it's a 92 xe 3.0. when I start it in the mornings it shutters real bad and tries to stall. It also does it when I'm making turns and I have to get on it to get out of the way It will do it so bad to the point the tires will start coming up off the ground. Also when I go up steep hills in the dirt it looses all power any idea on what the problem is I've tried seafoam already to clean the injectors I put half the can in the engine from the brake booster line and half into the tank it helped a bit but it's doing it again

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention to check your spark plugs. And basic maintenance. --cap rotor--wires. Do one thing at a time so you can figure what fixes it or doesn't

Will do thank you

Check your spark plugs, if they're white you're running lean--likely a dirty MAF like Cuong said or a vacuum leak. There should be a sticker on the underside of your hood showing vacuum hose routing. Find the lines it shows and examine them for cracks (or go ahead and replace them, vac line is cheap). When I first checked my '93, the fuel pressure regulator line at the back of the intake had come loose. Also check the intake tube between the MAF and the throttle body for cracking.

The MAF is pretty easy to clean. I did one in a hotel parking garage with denatured alcohol and a clean rag. Just be careful with the filaments and don't use any cleaner that'll leave a residue (no rubbing alcohol, WD40, that kind of thing).

Check your spark plugs, if they're white you're running lean--likely a dirty MAF like Cuong said or a vacuum leak. There should be a sticker on the underside of your hood showing vacuum hose routing. Find the lines it shows and examine them for cracks (or go ahead and replace them, vac line is cheap). When I first checked my '93, the fuel pressure regulator line at the back of the intake had come loose. Also check the intake tube between the MAF and the throttle body for cracking.

The MAF is pretty easy to clean. I did one in a hotel parking garage with denatured alcohol and a clean rag. Just be careful with the filaments and don't use any cleaner that'll leave a residue (no rubbing alcohol, WD40, that kind of thing).

Only will do yea there is some cracks in the intake tube it seemed to be glued but when I pulled the filter out one day it cracked again and would barley run so I wrapped it in tape I'll try and go to the junkyard today and pick an new one up and I'll get some new Vac lines I'm sure they are rotted

Couldn't find the intake hose at the junkyard I found one off another nissan that looked close but didn't want to buy it and it not work I'm not sure on the model of car just know it was a 4 banger. My grandpa has some MAF cleaner would that work.

I have had a hard start issue for a long time now as well, also with a 1992 wd21. Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and cleaned MAF sensor. Still not starting well, although it clears up after a bit. Starting to wonder if a fuel injector is leaking down when I shut it off, flooding it out every time I go to start it. I haven't been too too concerned because it always starts but really wondering why its doing it. Already checked fuel pressure, coil pack, and compression to make sure I didn't have a weak cylinder. Not popping any codes, but seems like these older computers never really do...

Mine isn't much of a hard start it starts fairly easy it just happens when I back out into the road and get on it, when I'm turning and get on it or when I'm going up a hill

I would check the alternator belt tension. Mine would buck like hell in first gear if you got after really hard or going up a hill while off roading bad enough to almost totally die out. It would be really bad if it got wet and you would have to slowly let it rev up.

I would check the alternator belt tension. Mine would buck like hell in first gear if you got after really hard or going up a hill while off roading bad enough to almost totally die out. It would be really bad if it got wet and you would have to slowly let it rev up.

Okay will check it thanks how tight should it be

So I let my mechanic friend drive it yesterday and he said it's a motor mount and when the motor gets pulled on it pulls the throttle cable

Seemed to fix it bought some maf cleaner and put more tape around my intake tube and it has quit doing and I made it up some pretty steep hills

So when I started this morning I didn't let it warm up I just started it and went and it fell pretty hard on its face but I just kept it running and it drove fine ant idea on what to fix next

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

sorry to bring up an old thread. This is a long shot, but did you fix your issue? I can't seem to find the solution anywhere? My truck has trouble going up hill past 60mph unless I downshift to 4th or even 3rd gear. I step on the gas and it becomes loud and not go anywhere.