HELP! Reverse without Warning stopped Working

Stifun

Have a 1995 Pathfinder SE Auto V6 with 154K miles have had a great running motor and never any issues at all. When I first bought the Pathy I even put on a large transmission cooler but I have no idea what caused it as all other Gears Work Fine like they should.

I checked the Fluid and its Red and at the Proper Level even tried switching from 2WD to 4WD various times and no luck.

Please tell me what I can do as I can't afford a New Tranny.

Thanks in Advance. :ohno01:

NOOOOO but how can this happen without warning just instantly NO Warning or Nothing are our Transmissions that weak or what.

Same thing happened to me. I can't really tell you why reverse fails.

reverse takes a higher tranny oil pressure than other gears. The first time mine went, it was the pump failing. Second time, the internal gear pack ate itself and shed small chunks of metal all throughout the tranny. 230000 miles and on my 3rd transmission

News your opportunity to turn it into a manual transmission, so it will be reliable, or sell it and fine something else. I definitely would not recommend investing money in another problematic automatic. as you have found out - even with the trans cooler, these are a ticking timebomb.

When was the last time the ATF was changed? Does it seem to run hot?

As the others have said, it is probably damaged and needs replacing but you still need to understand the failure mechanism.

B

Well as far as the ATF fluid it was changed like 2-3 years ago. But after reading that I will have to replace the Tranny i will just use the Truck till the tranny blows or engine dies and learn to drive with no reverse.

Ok, it still sounds like it would be good to understand the problem though, if not to fix it, then to keep it from getting worse?

How many miles was that? So, I'm assuming it isn't in bad shape. Can you tell if there is flow through the cooler? (lines should be warm after moderate use)

B

Not many miles on the fluid as for a time it was not used often maybe 20K miles.

As for if there is any flow thru the cooler I don't know where that is to check maybe you can guide me and I will check it out.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The stock cooler runs through the bottom of the radiator. If you replace the trans, first thing you want to do is put a auxiliary cooler & disconnect completely from the stock radiator cooler as they are prone to clog. I used a Hayden 30k hybrid oil cooler which fit perfectly in front of my passenger side a/c coil. I had the exact same problem as you & replaced with a auto trans from a 01 xterra & haven't had a problem since. Its a big job to remove the old though, to remove & replace took me a good 40 hours as you have to pull torsion bars, starter, etc. I hate to hear the bad news, but goodluck; some people just always park to make sure they are on a hill or can always pull forward for years after their reverse goes out, but I can't ever think that far ahead.