DJ's 2001 Expedition Vehicle

DJDESI

Dear all,

Hi there from Qatar. Its a great pleasure going through your posts but ignorance and lack of knowledge takes the worst turn in me. I hope you dont mind me asking you questions which I am sure you have already answered a gazzillion times :P

Its a 2001 SE Pathfinder and this is how it looked like the night I bought it:

10443729_10206496289622006_2026312749_n_
11355521_10206496289742009_676783537_n_z
11429925_10206496288501978_1072407893_n_
11637947_10206496289942014_878236577_n_z
11350265_10206496289462002_973033674_n_z

So here it goes:

1 - Front Coil Spacers (FCS-A-1-R50) - 2 Inch - Should I go for 2.5Inch if I have a 3 Inch rear?
Rear Coil Spacers (RCS-A-1-R50) - 3 Inch
3 - Coil Springs - Recommendations plz
4 - Struts - Recommendations plz
I currently run on 245/70/16 Scorpion Pirelli Tyres and will soon be replacing them with bigger all terrain tyres.
Terrain is desert sand dunes and rocks. The vehicle will also be used for extensive long travels. There are 2-3 passengers on the rear seat. Cannot afford a bumper and a winch at the moment.
What else will I need and require for the suspension? Bushings, Torsion and Sway bars? Brake lines? Anything else that might need to be replaced or added? Am asking cuz I will be ordering them online and to save costs on shipping to Qatar, I will need to order in one go :P
I would really appreciate your input n guidance n suggestions please.
Regards,
DJ

Edited by DJDESI
  • Like 2

Hello!

1: Not sure because I don't run spacers, but those spacers give EXACTLY the amount of lift as they are tall. So choose based on how much higher you want to go. If you want the rear to go up 3 inches, then get the 3 inch. It would make the vehicle point downwards I think because 2.5 in front and 3 in rear. People who run stiffer coils like myself (no spacers) run into the uneven lift front to back, the rear gets lifted more than the front. So later some choose to add spacers to the front only to even it out. But as far as I know, there is no need to order different height spacers to get a level lift, unless the different height is what you want.

2: Sorry no experience with those either.

3: If you run spacers, like the ones you say you are getting, they mount on top of the strut and move the whole coilover setup down by the length of the spacer, this puts the control arms and CV axles at a more extreme angle, adding aftermarket coils might add to this extreme angle and it might be too much. We have a range of angle to play with, you can add to the angle with stiffer coils, or spacers, but usually not both.

4: KYB is the preferred brand in the US at least, the international market lists some more brands that are not used here, the struts I just put on mine are KYB Excel-G. They are the same strut as the now phased out GR-2 (according to KYB)

5: Our vehicles use LUG centric wheels, although the part you linked appears to be LUG centric, not HUB centric. Anyways, I got aftermarket wheels with the backspacing I needed, if I remember right the stock wheel BS (back spacing) is 4.75" and the BS we want so bigger tires don't rub on the spring perch is 3.75" So your 1.5" is more that enough for that.

6: Manual hubs are good to go, no complaints from me.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned, bushings do not take center stage when doing a lift, they are probably fine. I just did my control arm bushings and steering rack bushings, but they did not need to be replaced. (found that out only after removing the control arm, but at that point there was no going back!)

We don't have torsion bars, so there is one heavy bulky thing you won't have to import! As well as sway bars, most members don't change anything with them.

Brake lines are optional as long as the lift is no more than 3"

The only thing I can think of that you might need to add that you did not list was strut mounts and bearings. It is typical for those to be replaced along with the strut when doing the lift, if you don't and the old ones go bad, you will have to take apart the struts again to replace them. Taking the struts apart is a pain in the neck, and kind of dangerous if you do it yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm currently looking for a new pathfinder, used to own a '95.

I'm interested in a 2002-04. None of the ones I've seen have the rear tire carrier, like my old gen one did. It also looks like your trunk handle is off to the side.

Did we get those on the U.S. Models? Or was it just over seas variation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jakkal

• 2 weeks later...

It also looks like your trunk handle is off to the side.

Extremely sorry for the delayed response...

The trunk handle is located just behind the rear tyre carrier at the bottom. Will try to post a pic tonight :)

Regards,

DJ

@ clkindred:

Thank you soooo much for the detailed response and my humble apologies for the delay.

1: Not sure because I don't run spacers, but those spacers give EXACTLY the amount of lift as they are tall.

Steve/Fleurys and a few other awesome Offroaders suggested I should wait and change the Coil Springs and Shock Absorbers first, measure it after the change and then go for the spacers. I will listen to their advice and will go with Steves spacers accordingly :)

2: Sorry no experience with those either.

Airlifts have been ordered and hopefully will soon be on their way :)))))))
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTK8WA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3F0F5YPLZW06N&coliid=IYUZUW0PZES35

3: If you run spacers, like the ones you say you are getting, they mount on top of the strut and move the whole coilover setup down by the length of the spacer, this puts the control arms and CV axles at a more extreme angle, adding aftermarket coils might add to this extreme angle and it might be too much. We have a range of angle to play with, you can add to the angle with stiffer coils, or spacers, but usually not both.

I wanna go with Old Man Emu springs so please suggest heavy duty coils. I humbly request you to add a link from where I can buy online too please. Suggestions plz...

4: KYB is the preferred brand in the US at least, the international market lists some more brands that are not used here, the struts I just put on mine are KYB Excel-G. They are the same strut as the now phased out GR-2 (according to KYB)

KYB Excel-G it will be. URL Link and Suggestion Plz.

5: Our vehicles use LUG centric wheels....

Steve recommended these and they will be ordered soon :))))))

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pc-1-5-6x5-5-FOR-NISSAN-Wheel-Spacers-Adapters-12x1-25-Studs-6-lug-/111248033279?vxp=mtr&hash=item19e6e645ff

6: Manual hubs are good to go, no complaints from me.

Hubs have been ordered and hopefully will soon be on their way :)))))))

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQDPIQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3F0F5YPLZW06N&coliid=I221M4NVB28QW0

Will keep the bushings and the brake lines as they are. Will not change them.

The only thing I can think of that you might need to add that you did not list was strut mounts and bearings. It is typical for those to be replaced along with the strut when doing the lift, if you don't and the old ones go bad, you will have to take apart the struts again to replace them.

Strut Mount and Bearing recommendation and link plz :P

A friend of mine is currently in the US and will be traveling back to Qatar soon. I need to buy and ship the items to his place so he can pack and ship them or bring them with him. Your detailed and urgent response with links will be highly appreciated please :)
Regards,
DJ

Make sure you think it through before you go with the spacers. May want to jump to SFD. B)

Check out my setup...older 96, but you'll get the idea.

...and forgot to mention. After my lift, I scrapped the rear sway bar. I may do the Missing Link someday when I do skid plates, but for now I don't mind the slight sway.

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4
  • Like 1

Went through your rig set up. Awesomely well done. Your signature listed plenty of informative links.

If I go with a KFAB SFD, I will still need other stuff...

Regards,

DJ

I wanna go with Old Man Emu springs so please suggest heavy duty coils. I humbly request you to add a link from where I can buy online too please. Suggestions plz...

http://www.rocky-road.com/nissan-pathfinder-lift-kit.html

KYB Excel-G it will be. URL Link and Suggestion Plz.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=503687&cc=1432945&jnid=463&jpid=3

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=503425&cc=1432945&jnid=463&jpid=4

Strut Mount and Bearing recommendation and link plz :P

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=418852&cc=1432945&jnid=464&jpid=7

• Like 1

I didn't replace my mounts...just struts. On a 96. Wasn't an east coast/rusted out vehicle, so I didn't worry about it.

I would expect his aren't rusted or damaged either. Just hot there....like where I live....not too much humidity or salt.

Need to vent out... :(

I wanna thank each and everyone of you who have helped me but I am still far away from the decision. If I make up my mind, something else pops up and all those decisions just simply go to waste. Basically I am confused and I feel embarrassed to ask again and again but greatful to you for still bearing it with me although almost every thing ever has already been discussed on the forums.

I want to lift the awesome vehicle I have.

If I go with the SFD from KrFabs as suggested by "96Pathfinder4x4", what else will I need and require?

Front: Coil Springs, Struts, Strut Mounts - Their part number, brand and direct link

Rear: Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers - Their part number, brand and direct link.

I have already purchased and now waiting for the airlift 1000 which fits my present springs but I think I will need to purchase another one for the WJ springs and I dont want to repeat this mistake again or will it still work with the new WJ springs that I will buy?

I am confused so please help and guide me.

Regards,

DJ :(

Need to vent out... :(

I wanna thank each and everyone of you who have helped me but I am still far away from the decision. If I make up my mind, something else pops up and all those decisions just simply go to waste. Basically I am confused and I feel embarrassed to ask again and again but greatful to you for still bearing it with me although almost every thing ever has already been discussed on the forums.

I want to lift the awesome vehicle I have.

If I go with the SFD from KrFabs as suggested by "96Pathfinder4x4", what else will I need and require?

Front: Coil Springs, Struts, Strut Mounts - Their part number, brand and direct link

Rear: Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers - Their part number, brand and direct link.

I have already purchased and now waiting for the airlift 1000 which fits my present springs but I think I will need to purchase another one for the WJ springs and I dont want to repeat this mistake again or will it still work with the new WJ springs that I will buy?

I am confused so please help and guide me.

Regards,

DJ :(

DJ, if you go with the WJ springs with the KrF SFD, then you should only need longer shocks. Some guys (like me) run with shocks for an 02-ish Ford F250...but you'd probably have better luck finding an Bilstein dealer and getting a better product.

You should also consider longer brake lines, though I don't know how good your options are. I use a rear lines from a 98-04 Frontier/Navara and front lines from an 08-13 Nissan Rogue....but shhh, I haven't told anyone that yet (secret's out). I think I paid maybe $35 US for all three and they fit fine. Rear line is about 6" longer.

Chances are that your Airlift 1000 won't fit the springs...well, I should say, they might not be tall enough. But, the solution may be pretty simple, like a puck to fill the gap if needed. Wouldn't worry about it until you get to that point.

On a side note about the SFD...you guys don't have any sort of inspections that disallow these sorts of modification, do you? Just asking because some places (like Australia) don't.

And don't sweat asking questions...we all get a little excited about this stuff. But we understand it's probably a little more stressful for you because you have to coordinate having everything shipped from the States.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2

Just got the news that the Warn Manual Hubs and the Airlift 1000 are on their way and will hopefully arrive by Thursday. I will go pick up my friend from the airport and will literally steal her bags and run away :P

Atleast the hubs will not be changed but I will use the airlift 1000 until I have everything here and will remove them once i get newer springs.

By Jeep WJ, it mean its Jeep Cherokee or Jeep Grand Cherokee... or...????

Regards,

DJ

@hawairish

Thank you so much for your kind words. Really appreciate the help :)

SFD will have to wait for another month I guess. I have sent them an email and waiting for their shipping quote to Kansas USA (where one of my friend lives) and another quote directly to Qatar. It will include both front and rear brake lines

In the meantime, I will be purchasing the following...

Front struts, strut mounts (which ones and also need direct link plz)

Rear Shock Absorbers (which ones and also need direct link plz)

Bilstein or Old Man Emu?

We do have a strict Vehicle Inspection Authority. Will fix all these things after I get the vehicle approved :)

Regards,

DJ

I run OME struts, and they're great. KYB seems pretty popular too, and some guys like the Gabriels. The OME you can get from a few places, but RRO seems to be where everyone gets them from. You can get the others from Rock Auto for about $60-$65/ea. Rock Auto lists parts for European models, too, so you may be able to reference all the part numbers and find a closer supplier. RA also sells a variety of strut mounts. If you're planning to freshen up the strut assembly, may as well think about new strut bearings. Otherwise, what you currently have might be re-usable.

OME has some nice shocks, but you may have to do some homework on that one and see what lengths and bushing combos will fit yours. My experience with Bilstein has been good and bad, but I plan to go with Bilstein again soon because I'm not sure if OME will have the application I need. You'll also need to determine the height you need and see what the part number is. But for reference, I run a 2" spacer and OME spring (~1.5") and use a shock that is 28.125" extended, 16.625" compressed, 11.5" of travel. OE is 24.25"/15.125"/9.125". That said, an inch longer per inch of lift is a good starting point.

The WJ is the Grand Cherokee, 1999-04. Be sure to check the FAQs from KrF, it should have all the answers you need.

I will manage to purchase the Jeep WJ coils/springs locally in Qatar. Are they supposed to be stock size or what?

Rear:

Bilstein rear shock absorbers for a 2002 Ford F-350 2WD - Will they fit and will i be able to drive even if I do not have the SFD kit right now? http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-185325-Rear-Shock-Super/dp/B003I82DIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437988048&sr=1-1&keywords=Bilstein+%2324-185325

They are around 69US$ each.

Spring/Coil will be from a Jeep WJ which brings me again to my same question if it will be of the stock length or not?

Front:

What should I use for the front struts and coils and the strut mounts???? Direct links will be highly appreciated :)

Regards,

DJ

I will manage to purchase the Jeep WJ coils/springs locally in Qatar. Are they supposed to be stock size or what?

Rear:

Bilstein rear shock absorbers for a 2002 Ford F-350 2WD - Will they fit and will i be able to drive even if I do not have the SFD kit right now? http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-185325-Rear-Shock-Super/dp/B003I82DIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437988048&sr=1-1&keywords=Bilstein+%2324-185325

They are around 69US$ each.

Spring/Coil will be from a Jeep WJ which brings me again to my same question if it will be of the stock length or not?

Front:

What should I use for the front struts and coils and the strut mounts???? Direct links will be highly appreciated :)

Regards,

DJ

I've not done the WJ springs personally, but everything I've read suggests they are lift springs (i.e., not stock springs). The FAQ link I provided should answer that.

The F250 shocks will likely need to have the bushings swapped:

The upper bolt size on the F250 is close to the lower bolt size on the R50

The lower bolt size on the F250 is close to the upper bolt size on the R50

The need entirely depends on the bushings and sleeves supplied with the shock; some bushings may already be pressed in, some might not.

Don't install the longer springs until you've got the rear springs in. The compressed length may cause bottoming out and damage the shock.

I gave links for the front items...Rock Auto. You don't have many options for struts: KYB, Gabriel, Monroe, Rancho (a Monroe company), OME. That's about it. I believe there's a Bilstein for European R50s, but we've not seen it in the States.

Another option for you is to keep your stock/current suspension and just add the SFD. You'd still need to figure out how to lift the rear 4".

Personally, I think you should just get the OME springs, shocks/struts, some 1" spacers, and call it a day. The SFD approach you're talking is the extreme end of lifting the R50, and getting/finding all the other parts appears to be a hassle. You'll be satisfied with that setup. I'm not exactly sure what your goal is though...

DJ, you seem set on getting new struts and springs. Is there something wrong with the ones currently on the vehicle? Replacing these are not necessary for the lift options you are considering.

Whether you go with a strut spacer or the SFD option, both of those options are good (I suggest best) with stock springs/shocks.

Your question about the rear WJ coils...For the 4" SFD, you want 4" of lift in the rear. The WJ coils that give the WJ 3" of lift will give the Pathfinder 4" of lift. So shop for Jeep Cherokee (WJ) coils that give a 3" lift over the stock height.

If you do replace your struts for new ones, always replace the strut bearing and strut isolator at the same time. Those are wear parts and need replacing periodically. It's always best to do those when replacing your struts.

Can you use the longer shocks before your lift? Only if the compressed length of the new shock is less than your suspension can compress. And I don't know that answer because I haven't measured the Pathfinder's suspension travel.