Timing Belt Broke

bmitchell

So a few years ago I bought a '94 Pathfinder SE and neglected to change the timing belt even though I didn't know when it was last done.

Fast forward to last week, came home from work, engine running normally, and parked.

Came out later the same day to start her up again, and no spark. Turning, sounds a little strange, but nothing firing up.

Checked a couple things, fuses, relays, ignition coil, dist cap, all seemed OK.

What I didn't do is leave the distributor cap off while turning the engine to see if the rotor was spinning. Didn't have time to deal with it as I had several houseguests in town, so I had it towed to a shop.

Got a call from the shop saying it was the timing belt, and there was a 50/50 chance the valves were hosed, but since it broke while it wasn't running at speed the chance was better.

Another few days and I hear back that all is not lost.

Picked it up and the engine seems like it is running OK.

TL,DR: Should have replaced the timing belt when I got the vehicle and saved some time and money.

Ben

TL,DR: Should have replaced the timing belt when I got the vehicle and saved some time and money.

Ben

:yeahthat: One of the top items we try and stress to new owners... unless there is rock solid documentation showing that it was recently done. Cheap (when done yourself) and effective use of a day (or less - for first timers) to help ensure long term use of the vehicle.

Really lucky none of the valves were sitting low :unsure:

• Like 2

Glad you got lucky Bud, you are in that 10% (guesstimation)!

Like Red said, that is something we stress as much as possible, for good reason. As far as I'm concerned, these are the top 5 things that put Pathfinders in a junkyard.

1) Accident

2) Transmission failure

3) Timing belt failure

4) Rust

5) Neglected/Worn Out

2,3 &4 are generally preventable so that is what we focus on. It is sad to see an otherwise good vehicle scrapped for something that is avoidable.

Out of curiosity, would you have had the Pathy fixed if the motor needed to be replaced?

B

• 1 year later...

Glad you got lucky Bud, you are in that 10% (guesstimation)!

Like Red said, that is something we stress as much as possible, for good reason. As far as I'm concerned, these are the top 5 things that put Pathfinders in a junkyard.

1) Accident

2) Transmission failure

3) Timing belt failure

4) Rust

5) Neglected/Worn Out

2,3 &4 are generally preventable so that is what we focus on. It is sad to see an otherwise good vehicle scrapped for something that is avoidable.

Out of curiosity, would you have had the Pathy fixed if the motor needed to be replaced?

B

I hold the opinion that 90% of the time No. 1 is preventable as well as long as you're not being a complete Fartwaffle when driving.

I hold the opinion that 90% of the time No. 1 is preventable as well as long as you're not being a complete Fartwaffle when driving.

Provided the nut in the other lane is doing the same.

That's why I said 90% :P Even then, MOST can be avoided if you're paying attention to what other people are doing around you and put yourself at a good enough distance to react ;)

That lady that got hit by a tree on the interstate in Seattle a couple of weeks ago was clearly a wrong place at the wrong time scenario.

Edited by gamellott

I was driving when my timing belt broke. I was doing 60 when it happened, engive reved high and, kaput!!! she stalled......well like they say, bad timing

Good to hear your valves were ok, it saved you alot....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Edited by NP670