Electrical Power Loss

headpeace

On the way home today I had to stop at UPS store. Pull up, turn off engine, hop out, go in, come back out, start back up. When I start back up my radio isn't playing, my AC blower isn't blowing, my cig lighter voltmeter is dead - no display, and windshield wipers won't work. So I turn on my cruise control - green light lights up - cool, turn on rear defrost - dash light lights up - cool, windows roll down (thank God cuz it was hot). So I'm thinking its not my alt going out cause the tale-tale dash lights aren't on so I just sit for a minute to see what happens - nothing. So I decide to get home ASAP so I get back on the road and start driving, 5 minutes later everything comes on and works normal like nothing had ever happened - WTF? So I decide its fairly safe to stop at grocery store on the way home. Stop get out and get back in and same thing, start driving and boom everything starts working again. When everything comes back on my voltmeter reads 13.8 so battery seems good. Make it home and check all my dash fuses and they are all good.

So, what else to check? Any other ideas, anyone else experience this? I know the grounds should be checked but I only know where like 2 of them are - any help is much appreciated.

Well, first off, don't use UPS...

I don't think it is the ground, but obviously get that out of the way. What does the battery read without the engine running?

Obviously the issue is isolated or the engine wouldn't be running, so... Work your way back from the positive terminal, checking the fusible links, and branch into the relays, removing each one to check for contact/corrosion, checking voltage as you go. Might want to keep a multimeter with you for some quick readings when it acts up. Hard to chase gremlins when they have hidden... ;)

I'm no good with wiring circuits, but someone who is should be able to isolate the electrical path for those components from the diagram in the FSM.

B

Looking at a 94's electrical diagram(nico's didn't list a electrical section for a 93). It seems most of those circuits only share a few things- ignition switch, the fuse block(under dash) and a ground point. That ground is 232M and is located behind the right kickpanel. It should be held on with a 10mm violet or a Phillips screw(pan head?). You can see the ground in the manual on page EL-82? Its possible it's loose or just needs to be tightened. That's where I'm leaning. But the ignition switch runs a close second as when you turn the key, it supplies power to certain things in the fuse panel. Is possible it lost some connection due to your keys jingling around(do you have lots of keys hanging?). Of course catching it when it happens is going to be the tricky part.

Also check the ground bolt/screw on the drivers side in the kickpanel(202M).

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

Only have my ignition key and FOB on my keyring. Battery is reading 12.2 alone. Hate trying to troubleshoot electrical gremlins. I will start carrying my multimeter in the PF.

Kickpanel grounds? Where are they?