Shift slippage and engine Bogging Help?! Please

hey Michael Cooley here. Got a 95 se pathfinder at need help badly. Trans flares from 1 to 2 refuses to go to 3 then slips to neutral and then causes engine to bog down either choking or flooding not sure. Very troublesome. My power shift indicator light does not work most likely due to stereo hack job causing light circuit problems throughout the vehicle so Can't run self diagnostics..installing external cooler and changing fluid but could use help on the procedure??

Others with more knowledge of the Auto trans will hopefully belong soon to help, but in the mean time I suggest that you take the time to read through the following topics.

In the Garage > How To's section:
How To: Transmission Cooler Install

Adding an AT Cooler

From the 90-95 Section (Pinned above your posted topic)
Changing auto tranny fluid?
*also talks about cooler installs

Auto Tranny Temperature Gauge

And while were at it here are a couple other unrelated but still very important threads from the Garage > How To's ;)

Well, you can drop the pan to change the fluid, but you won't get all of it. Having it flushed is the best way to get 99% of the fluid changed. What color is the fluid now? How does it smell? If you have wiring issues, maybe you killed power to the a/T control unit. I will look at the manual.

I disconnected lines at radiator and ran 12 qts through the system and it was very dark and very gritty so I take it im in the market for a new tranny? I have already checked the power source at at controller via at-53 which is what it says to do if first step in at-39 is no good. The at power is good so it says to check harness continuity which refers you to the el section of the manual but no specifics.

Ok, so you don't have power at the A/T control unit correct? Check the fuse in the wiring diagram on page AT-36 & 37. Make sure you have power to the fuse as well. If your fuse is ok and power is going through them, then it's time to check continuity of the wire.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

It sounds like it might have something stuck internally that's keeping a clutch pack applied when it shouldn't be, so when it goes for third, it's fighting two packs against each other, burning the bejeezus out of both and bogging your motor at the same time. Even if you unstuck it the clutches are probably wiped out by this point. You're on the right track looking for a new trans.

Make sure you flush or replace the transmission cooler lines (and bypass the stock cooler) before installing the new trans. You don't want that debris in the system. Good luck with the wiring, that's always a pain.

going to pick up trans now from a 2004 exterra with 100k now. Any advice on the removal and install would be greatly appreciated. Think I will do complete write up since I can't seem to find one on this swap

hopefully will be starting the removal tomorrow evening. I most certainly will take as many pictures as possible from every angle maybe even a video or two. As I have never fooled with automatic trans of any kind I would greatly appreciate any advice. Especially about prepping the tranny for install...such as priming the system with fluid filling the torque converter with fluid...maybe flushing the new tranny before installing it...ANYTHING WHATSOEVER. I don't want a rookie mistake to cause this trans to be bad. I will be posting pics of the truck tomorrow as well. I gave 425$ for this truck. Spent roughly 150 trying to get the existing trans to work including the cost of a multi meter I bought for testing electrical components. And gave 450 for the new trans with tcase and torque converter. The truck sat for a FEW years with trans problem so its covered with gunk but you wont believe how good of a shape this 1995 wd21 is in underneath all the gunk. I believe i will have a very nice truck if all goes well with this install for UNDER WAY UNDER 1500$