R200 vs C200K

So I have been browsing the internet for a few months now and calling around to a few people trying to find the answer to this question:

Are the R200 carrier and C200K carrier identical?

Talking with Steve over at Rugged Rocks, the R&P are identical PNs and the spline and diameter match. To me it would seem they are pretty much spot on, but I was just wondering if there were any little quirks hiding in the carrier because of the independent vs solid axle deal. Any help would be great. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Chances are that the carriers are identical (that's my understanding, anyway). The R&P parts match is a good sign. But...which R200 was it compared against? If you compared to an R50's, you're in a much smaller boat than you think.

The R50's R200 axle is the exception to the R200/C200 cross-compatibility. It used a high-pinion design (the pinion gears mates above the ring gear centerline). Pretty much every other axle (Xterra, Frontier, Hardbody, 1st Gen PFs) used low-pinion. Not sure what the cars used.

Quickest way to tell is to look at the snout of the diff...it's it seems below the axle shafts, it's low-pinion