Air intake questions

CDN_S4

I finally pulled the trigger on an Xterra 3.3 air intake. Not sure yet how the fitment will be, but it's the same motor, so it SHOULD fit!? If not I'm sure it can be made to fit.

Upon closer inspection I noticed that the OEM intake is actually a whole lot more complicated than initially expected.

First off, there is a thin hose that runs from behind the air box into a metal hose.

Then there is a chamber below the main tubing, I suspect for water separation?!

There are quite a few things going into and coming out of this system.

So I was wondering for those that have replaced their oem intakes, can a bunch of these things be bypassed by installing a simple straight forward tube and filter?

Pics to follow.

Thanks

All the hoses (the big ones are PCV and idle air control valve I think) and the smaller one (not sure what that one is) I just routed into the pipe, seems to work fine.

PICT0150.jpg

• Like 3

Performance? Hard to say, it did not hurt though. It SOUNDS like it helped performance just because the extra noise that can make it out of the intake. I do like the way it sounded after doing it.

Yeah i gained maybe 1mpg or 2mpg and a lil power. I also did a more open exhaust and a throttle body spacer. But it does sound pretty ba when i hammer on it

Dont do a throttle body spacer it didnt help much of anything i just got a good deal on the one i have

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks. My main motivation was to get rid of my busted air box hanging down by the tire, sucking in all sorts of water. More throaty sound is always welcome! :)

the small "box" under the intake piping is to reduce noise during the air intake. I have been thinking about a straight shot setup to just increase efficiency of air intake. But right now, the top of the list is the clutch.

Bought a $95 Xterra intake from eBay. Didn't use all the parts supplied but it contained everything I needed to build mine and reconnect every hose as before.

968fe19de46ae3050dd72f412963b16d.jpg